Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Is the hardcore minarcy content in Ron Pauls speaches a bad strategy?

I was listening to his speech tonight on C-Span. RP on C-span
Thinking, yep, right, yep, uh huh, as usual. Then it struck me that allot of what he was saying will probably be used against him in soundbite form.

He is speaking the truth and I would expect nothing less. But is his choice of priorities skewed? The average Joe voter doesn't understand Fiat Currency etc. But the do understand getting rid of the IRS. I am thinking that these are the talking points he should lead with. Am I wrong?

I'm not saying lie or obfuscate I'm just saying lead out with the softballs.
I am sure that all those old Cato Institute & Mises guys still have the charts laying around from Ross Perots infomercial. You remember those? Him standing up there pointing to graphs on paper showing exactly how the government was screwing us?

Somebody go over to Borodogs house and rummage around in the sock drawer, get the charts and send em to Ron.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:31 AM

Default Re: Is the hardcore minarcy content in Ron Pauls speaches a bad strategy?

[ QUOTE ]
Somebody go over to Borodogs house and rummage around in the sock drawer, get the charts and send em to Ron.

[/ QUOTE ]
Better yet, Borodog 4 prez
Old 05-23-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Is the hardcore minarcy content in Ron Pauls speaches a bad strate

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow I don't think that would work.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow I don't think that would work.

[/ QUOTE ]

He could be the first president to not vote for himself!
Old 05-23-2007, 05:23 AM

Personally, I think it's a battle of ideas. And in that regard, I think he isn't radical enough. But we're in tricky waters here, because the path he's going might be the only one to stop imminent fascism/another war.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:31 PM

I personally do think he's radical enough...the implications of everything he argues is for anarcho-capitalism. He has to dress it in minarchy to be allowed on the stage.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally do think he's radical enough...the implications of everything he argues is for anarcho-capitalism. He has to dress it in minarchy to be allowed on the stage.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all very very tricky.

On the one hand he is saying: stop believing in government. On the other hand he is saying: believe in government again (and support me as I use government to make the world a better place).

Personally I'd like to know if he actually is an anarchist. It could be that he is a 'decentralist', which is what a number of Mises fellows call for.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Is the hardcore minarcy content in Ron Pauls speaches a bad strategy?

[ QUOTE ]
I was listening to his speech tonight on C-Span. RP on C-span
Thinking, yep, right, yep, uh huh, as usual. Then it struck me that allot of what he was saying will probably be used against him in soundbite form.

He is speaking the truth and I would expect nothing less. But is his choice of priorities skewed? The average Joe voter doesn't understand Fiat Currency etc. But the do understand getting rid of the IRS. I am thinking that these are the talking points he should lead with. Am I wrong?

I'm not saying lie or obfuscate I'm just saying lead out with the softballs.
I am sure that all those old Cato Institute & Mises guys still have the charts laying around from Ross Perots infomercial. You remember those? Him standing up there pointing to graphs on paper showing exactly how the government was screwing us?

[/ QUOTE ]

From a strictly "What wins votes" category, he's doing an awful job. The blogosphere is into him, but Johnny Average doesn't care. This is the problem, what's right and what get's votes are often very sperate things.

I'd vote for him, but I'm solidly in the minority, and unlikey Mr. Paul, I'm willing to act on that. Ron needs to get some people around him to help shape what he's saying into usable bits. Elections are won on soundbites, not ideas. He may not find a Karl Rove, guys with that Political savvy don't come around often, but he can get some good help and make a serious run.

That said, it seems he's too focused on making the big change. Even the most hardcore ACers here say that you have to gradually lose faith in government, have it shrink and die, then start anew. Changes in government often don't happen over night. Ron is a good guy for a 5th of 6th Libertarian candidate, but not the first.

Cody
Old 05-23-2007, 03:15 PM

You're assuming he can, if elected, make all the changes he advocates. Congressional resistance would slow his progress getting much actually done. Changes will still be slow. It would be sweet, though, to see blanket pardons for nonviolent drug users and tax evaders...
Old 05-23-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're assuming he can, if elected, make all the changes he advocates. Congressional resistance would slow his progress getting much actually done. Changes will still be slow. It would be sweet, though, to see blanket pardons for nonviolent drug users and tax evaders...

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah. Wait till issues like this ROAST him in the general election if he pulls a miracle win in the primary.

Pretend for a minute that he does win the primary. Suddenly the news will be scrambling to find out what he stands for and what libertarianism stands for. The drug issue alone will kill him, unfortunately.