Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Band of brothers nuff said...

Myrtle, thanks for your post, incredible story.

Bastonge was my fav episode. The shelling, the lack of rations, extreme cold & lack of supplies, showed the real brutality of war. I believe that was where Easy Company got hit the hardest, I dunno, haven't seen the series for a while.

At the end of the episode they were going thru the casulaties, I couldn't stop shedding tears. (I think it was that episode, I dunno, I gotta watch it again)

Spears is by far my favorite char. Crazy, Mofo
Old 09-20-2007, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have any of you guys read the book? I read it after having seen the series and I couldn't put it down. The length they go to in the series to re-enact the stories in there is amazing. And it's great to put a "face" to the names in the book, even if it's an actors (though I hear they casted the characters to resemble the actual men).

[/ QUOTE ]

The series is very good but the book is better (or maybe it seems better because I read it first. You might want to read D Day: June 6, 1944: The Climactic Battle of World War II first.

PS Great post Myrtle!
Old 09-20-2007, 04:17 AM

The interviews with the veterans are very moving. They make the series.

I'd read the book before seeing the series. From what I recall, although Sobel was initially regarded as a jerk by the unit, with excessive drills and training and an over the top attitude to orders being followed without delay and without question. The intense, seemingly pointless physical training and a refusal to fraternise with the troops.

The unit later realised that the discipline that was instilled, the unquestioning belief in the command and the endurance & fitness helped them survive as a unit and perform as well as they did. This was achieved without Sobel being an obvious "crazy drill sergeant" type or without the need for the motivation for his demands and behaviour being disclosed - this would have affected the result.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The series is very good but the book is better (or maybe it seems better because I read it first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely disagree. This is a case where the film/mini-series is clearly better than the original source book. The film has much better structure, focusing each episode on a different character. Characters are developed much better and you actually feel for what the went through. Reading the book I thought, "that's really interesting", but watching Bastone or Why We Fight, I had to hold back tears. The book should be a companion to the series, but the series is the meat.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:48 AM

I've never been as impressed with any type of movie after reading the book as this one. I loved the book, it is still one of my favorites and the miniseries was 0% a let down.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 PM

I think this series was the single best 'anything' be it book, film, documentary, series, about war.

My favorite scene is when Spears runs through the German lines both ways. Thinking that a real person actually did that, THEN CAME BACK AGAIN is completely mind blowing.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this series was the single best 'anything' be it book, film, documentary, series, about war.

My favorite scene is when Spears runs through the German lines both ways. Thinking that a real person actually did that, THEN CAME BACK AGAIN is completely mind blowing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here it is
Old 09-21-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here it is

[/ QUOTE ]

Crazy mofo. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Him!
Old 09-21-2007, 01:24 AM

B: Got the DvD box set and the book for my birthday.
B: There are only ten episodes of this masterpiece.
V: Born too late to particpate.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:23 PM

Myrtle,

I want to say that is the best post I have ever read on 2+2

Thank you.

BOB was great and to make it even more poignant it was broadcast right in the midst of 9/11. It just makes it that much more meaningful for me. I still get teary eyed during some of the scenes.