Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Full Tilt Strategy Guide (Tournament Edition) looks good

[ QUOTE ]
cover price is $29.95 USD

[/ QUOTE ]

amazonnnnnnnnnn
Old 05-31-2007, 07:15 AM

Very impressed with the new Full Tilt book!!

Has to be put in with one of the top 3 no-limit tournament book(HOH 1-3, Snyders Tournament Formula, Full Tilt).

Let me start by saying I play only in online 5-25$ no-limit tournaments online- so my comments are geared to online playing.

This book is perfect for were we are at in poker tournaments books. After reading HOH- I felt like I was going to grind it out- play better and tighter- and dare anybody to confont my solid play.

Snyders Poker Tournament Formula wass perfect to read after HOH because it is a very aggressive attacking. A way to playu not based on starting hands and to play oppenents fears etc..

Now this gem of a bokk comes out and shows you how real good players can use either style or both in same tournament. goes into more detail how you can really play any style just as long as you are using it in a cohesive plan.

The perfect book to put everything together after reading HOH then PTF then read Full Tilt.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest lesson in this book to me is that No limit holdem really is an art. There is a lot of room for flair and creativity. Of course, learning fundamentals like leverage (covered in Lederer's chapter but also in Ciaffone/Reuben), implied odds, position, and other things are important. But the fact that certain players can play almost every hand (when the stacks are very deep) and become winners goes to show how no holds barred and artistic no limit holdem is.

The Lederer chapter is great as leverage may be the essence of minimizing risk while maximum reward in no limit. Once you combine these two you essentially go to the heart of long term EV maximization which is the ultimate financial reason to play poker to begin with.

But I can't get over how awesome the Ted Forrest chapter is. There is a part there were he mentions how one player can dictate the average size of the preflop raise. This is really deep psychological insight that I and other players have known intuitively but has not been written about in other books. Awesome chapter. Awesome book.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

i have read several of the chapters (and read two of them multiple times) and was planning on postiing some thoughts...but there is no need. Haunted Ghost has put it all here.

if you are thinking of buying this book, Haunted's points are the best i have seen on it.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:13 AM

The Lederer chapter was interesting but that type of play will only work againist good players who pay attention and think. 90% will just see a small bet and say I can afford to call that small bet and not think about bets on future streets.

RZ
Old 05-31-2007, 11:43 AM

I have only read some of it.

The section on PLHE is brief but excellent, concentrating on tournament-specific differences, particularly with short stacks. Also, says to play tighter with no ante and less implied odds.

Ferguson's chapter on bet sizing has good stuff in it, but is way too absolute. Like always come into a pot with a raise. Don't very your raise size based on your hand. People limp and flat call too often, but those plays are appropriate in some situations. Also, some people have clear bet size tells, but that doesn't mean you your hand shouldn't be factor in your preflop or flop bet size.

Forrest's chapter was good. I use some of the techniques he mentioned, like play what people don't expect, like limping when they think it is bad.

Phil Gordon's chapter on short stack play was kind of basic, atleast for me. He also makes statements about not making steals and resteals with aces or kings. This is generally not correct, as these hands generally play about the same as suited connectors against top 10% hands and better against top 20% hands.

I started Gavin Smith's section on big stack play. It seems to have excellent material. His approach of open raising a large number of hands 2.3xBB and pretty much automatically cbetting requires a somewhat weak/tight table.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:48 PM

This book is currently available in the full tilt store...
Old 06-01-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This book is currently available in the full tilt store...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have ordered mine...8,000 pts which makes it considerably dearer than NLHTAP.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:59 PM

yikes, that is a ton of points, maybe I will have to buy it, I tihnk I only have 3500 points there and I have never used any.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:54 PM

Given that they charge back .5 cents per point, this means that they are valuing at $40, a book which retails for 29.99 and is currently available (Amazon.com) for $19.79 . Does anyone know if they are technically defrauding their affiliates by doing this ? I wrote customer service about it in the hopes of getting the price reduced to at least no worse than 6K points but of course I have not heard back.

Wiz
Old 06-02-2007, 09:04 PM

If you have watched Lederer's limit holdem dvd - how much does his overall limit strategy vary, compared to this dvd. Obviously, he has included adjustments for tournament play, but does he discuss any type of different concepts?