Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Enlisting in Navy Under SEAL Challenge Contract

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, but you're the one who is extremely misguided here. The SEALs want people of better than average intelligence, but they do not want free thinkers.

As for my experience, I have 2 close family members who graduated from the Naval Academy, I have worked closely with a retired admiral, and my best friend in High School's father is a retired SEAL. All of whom I have talked to extensively about the SEAL program because it was something my brother was looking into.

[/ QUOTE ]

Independent thinker =/= "free thinker". I know for a fact that US Green Berets can go up to months at a time without contacting any sort of command post to receive orders. SEALs don't operate out of contact for quite that long, but there are periods that require the team (where rank means essentially dick) to use their heads, and come up with answers to scenarios. To be a member of the special ops community, you need to both have the ability to follow orders, as well as come up with plans of your own when the situation is called for. I personally know a couple SEALs, I have friends who have run combat operations with SEALs all over Ramadi and the rest of Iraq, I've done extensive research on them. The idea is to have a "switch", scream your "sir, yes sirs" when you need to, but the military is changing from when your friend's father was in it. Special Ops wants people who are more independent thinkers, because you may be in a situation where someone won't be standing over you telling you what to do. The onus is on the team to lead itself.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, according to Stew Smith, my times are competitive. These are max in 2 minute periods. I don't know anyone that can do over 105 REAL pushups in 2 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was curious so I looked it up. They have the minimums and averages on the Seals site. http://www.navyseals.com/community/store/stew_buds.cfm

Averages:
Pushups 100
Situps 90-100
Pullups 15-20
Swim 8-9m
Run 9-10m
Old 05-24-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. "Free-thinking" is not an asset in the military, in any branch. But intelligence and the ability to think on your feet is
2. Can you really join the US military as special forces? Seriously? I find that beyond ridiculous. Only the best proven soldiers should have the opportunity to go to special forces. Less time wasted on the weak-willed glory seekers.
3. You need to improve your fitness. Unless you can do what you've mentoined several times a day, you'll be in trouble.

I'm still in shock that you can join as a SEAL. Absolutely incredible.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can join a pipeline that will end you up as a SEAL, unless you fail it. I don't know much about other programs, but the Army's 18x program (which is the street citizen to SF soldier route) has been enormously successful.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:54 PM

I was a navy seal and the training is so tough, so I decided to be hooker
Old 05-25-2007, 09:26 PM

I'm former military, nothing elite, but these are my thoughts: You're in good but not stellar shape -- that is, your shape will prob be acceptable, but not an advantage. This whole "free-thinking" thing is BS. You can talk all the philosophy you want as long as you buckle down and follow orders. If you'd have a problem fighting in an unjust war, don't let that stop you -- most soldiers do. But if you'd have a problem fighting in a questionably just war, stay out -- there will almost always be moral ambiguity.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:01 AM

TY...i'll get in better shape...