Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 03:15 AM

Default [DVD]Howard Lederer\'s Secrets of Texas Limit Holdem

I have not seen a lot of reviews for this limit holdem dvd, so I thought I would start a post to get some opinions. Do you believe the raise only pre-flop strategy (even with a limper or two) he advises can be successful at any level, even the .50/1 and 1/2 level?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:02 AM

Default Re: [DVD]Howard Lederer\'s Secrets of Texas Limit Holdem

[ QUOTE ]
I have not seen a lot of reviews for this limit holdem dvd, so I thought I would start a post to get some opinions. Do you believe the raise only pre-flop strategy (even with a limper or two) he advises can be successful at any level, even the .50/1 and 1/2 level?

Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Advice:

You have visited the forum of 2+2, a publishing company that specializes in poker theory. Why not buy one of 2+2's books since that is what Lederer did many years ago to learn limit Hold'em? I recommend purchasing Ed Miller's Getting Started in Hold'em based on what you have told us so far.

PS: I have yet to see a DVD that was good for beginners, don't try to take the easy way out - read the book.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2007, 07:32 AM

While TT is obviously correct in general terms, I'd like to add that the Lederer limit DVD is actually quite good. If I had to compare it, I'd say Lederer teaches a basic strategy for limit HE quite similar to what Chip Reese does for 7CS in SS1.

Still just like TT, I would recommend to back it up with solid literature. "Getting Started in HE" and "Small Stakes HE" as a follow-up is the way to go.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:49 AM

Strange. Every Leaderer DVD i've had I considered a large waste of time & money. Actually, not even worth the shrink-wrap they came in.

I'm not trying to degrade him though personaly, it's just I consider all the DVD's by him some sales gimmik to make a quick buck. And it seems this is a big trend lately.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While TT is obviously correct in general terms, I'd like to add that the Lederer limit DVD is actually quite good. If I had to compare it, I'd say Lederer teaches a basic strategy for limit HE quite similar to what Chip Reese does for 7CS in SS1.

Still just like TT, I would recommend to back it up with solid literature. "Getting Started in HE" and "Small Stakes HE" as a follow-up is the way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Howard is perceived to be one of the best HU and short handed limit hold'em players in the world. Limit is really his game, not NL. But I still think Ed Miller's books are far better learning sources than a video.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that strategy could be successful under a wide variety of game conditions, but is only optimal or near optimal under some conditions. It doesn't work well in very loose & passive games because there are hands where you want to maximize your implied odds (small pairs and suited connectors) and raising them defeats the purpose.

In shorthanded games, where the ability to bluff effectively is key for any starting hand less than QQ, it may be a sound strategy. That's Howard's area of expertise, so it's not surprising he advises a lot of preflop raises.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:23 PM

Out of the DVDs I have watched the Phil Gordon and Annie Duke (advanced) are the best. The Marcel Luske DVD is the worst of all time. It makes the Hellmuth DVDs look like masterpieces.

I still have the Slotboom and Ed Miller DVDs to watch. Along with about 20 books to read. I have an agreement with myself to buy no more poker books until I get under 5 unread. That Poker Protection Book Mason mentioned sounds very interesting and there you go another book will be on my shelf waiting to be read. That is how it happens with me.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:29 AM

I am merely interested in hearing what others have to say about this dvd as I found it to be extremely interesting. I have actually read several books (such as SSHE) and did not watch this dvd for the purpose of learning how to play limit holdem, but rather out of curiousity as to what Lederer had to say regarding his strongest game.

I appreciate all the replies thus far, and welcome any future ones as well.