Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Live Updates of the Laak vs Computer Match HERE

Session Two - Polaris Wins!

10/$20 Limit Texas Hold'em Seat 1 Seat 2
Private Room Polaris +$2515 Ali Eslami -$2515
Public Room Phil Laak +$1560 Polaris -$1560

Tomorrow should be interesting
Old 07-24-2007, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Session Two - Polaris Wins!

10/$20 Limit Texas Hold'em Seat 1 Seat 2
Private Room Polaris +$2515 Ali Eslami -$2515
Public Room Phil Laak +$1560 Polaris -$1560

Tomorrow should be interesting

[/ QUOTE ]

U would have to be an idiot to take on a computer in LHE, they were pwning years ago, it's a simple, mechanical game, how can nizzles not have realized this?
Old 07-24-2007, 05:09 AM

I wonder if the computer uses the amount of time the humans spend making decisions as part of its analysis...
Old 07-24-2007, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I expect there will be a lot of discussion about how Laak sucks after all of this, but it also seems quite possible to me that Polaris is just damned good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Didn't everyone think he sucked before this? Win or lose here doesn't really matter.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wp sir
Old 07-24-2007, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

U would have to be an idiot to take on a computer in LHE, they were pwning years ago, it's a simple, mechanical game, how can nizzles not have realized this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize this, because I'm a moron!

[ QUOTE ]

anyone know if they're going to post the hh's when it's over?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it says hand histories will be posted. I can't wait to
see them.

[ QUOTE ]

I wonder if the computer uses the amount of time the humans spend making decisions as part of its analysis...

[/ QUOTE ]

I would assume not. This would be unfair to do this without warning, since apparently Laak and Ali have spent time commenting to the audience and stuff when they have tough decisions. If they knew his opponent were timing them, they wouldn't do this and would at least make an attempt to vary timing.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would assume not. This would be unfair to do this without warning, since apparently Laak and Ali have spent time commenting to the audience and stuff when they have tough decisions. If they knew his opponent were timing them, they wouldn't do this and would at least make an attempt to vary timing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know if there was/was not warning about this, so I figured I'd ask. The amount of time a person spends thinking about a play is one of the internet "tells" a lot of people talk about, and Laak commented on his own frustration at the computer's instant plays.

Would a feature using the delay in plays be useful as part of a computer's analysis, or would it be too exploitable? I think near-instant responses from a human always say something about his/her hand.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FYI ALL,

5 years ago, Phil Laak and the Computer had a similiar match. Phil won the match, but estimated he had less than a 5% edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's a 5% edge mean? Since most decisions are no brainers (find a raise with top pair, fold if you miss the flop), it sounds like a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FYI ALL,

5 years ago, Phil Laak and the Computer had a similiar match. Phil won the match, but estimated he had less than a 5% edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's a 5% edge mean? Since most decisions are no brainers (find a raise with top pair, fold if you miss the flop), it sounds like a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh please don't nit in some odd hope of pretending to be smart. You know what I mean.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know if there was/was not warning about this, so I figured I'd ask. The amount of time a person spends thinking about a play is one of the internet "tells" a lot of people talk about, and Laak commented on his own frustration at the computer's instant plays.

Would a feature using the delay in plays be useful as part of a computer's analysis, or would it be too exploitable? I think near-instant responses from a human always say something about his/her hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but if they were to do have this feature it would be unethical to not tell Laak, and just let him play fast on the easy decisions and talk to the audience about the hard ones.