Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Ron Paul\'s Straw Poll Showing

Despite claims by many that Ron Paul's support amongst traditional conservatives and republicans is non existant, Ron Paul the candidate formerly referred to by the media as a "longshot" now "dark horse" candidate is making significant strides in winning the hearts and the minds of traditional conservatives.

While his "Barry Goldwater" conservatism appeals to anti government activists of all stripes and his anti-war message is reaching across the aisle and bringing in many of the left, much as Nixon and Einsenhower did to secure their respective presidencies, it is quickly becoming apparent that the maverick Congressman from Texas is not so different after all.

A life long pro life and anti-gun control advocate Congressman Paul claims to be "the most conservative member of Congress". His voting record indicates this is true : in all of his twenty years in office, Ron Paul has never voted to raise taxes or increase the size of the government. It is clear Iowans are ready to begin saying "Yes" to Dr. No.

While some Ron Paul supporters expressed mild disastisfaction at the showing, 9% is nearly five times higher than Paul's polling data indicated. Many mainstream media outlets had proferred estimates for his Straw Poll numbers to be as low as 1%. Owing in part to his highly energized grass roots campaign staff travelling in from out of state to participate in the straw poll, his success is undoubtably influenced primarily by his ever expanding internet campaign (which of costs the Ron Paul campaign absolutely nothing and is converting people by the minute, as opposed to by the dollar) it is important to understand that much of Paul's support comes from outside the GOP base. The Republican party experienced significant losses in the last congressional election and this is of course due in large part to the war issue. Ron Paul voted against the war.

It is obvious that this surge in the polls is an indication of the growing momentum in the Paul campaign. As grass roots organizations empowered by the internet and fueled perhaps by the emotion invoked by the hundreds of Ron Paul video's on youtube (I know I have shed a few tears of joy listening to the great doctor) continue to spread Dr. Paul's message of peace and limited government the numbers and donations will only continue to rise. While it is true Ron Pauld does not have the hundreds of millions of dollars of candidates Hillary Clinton and Mitt Romney, he does have a fairly significant war chest, gained almost entirely by cost free internet fund raising. It is a shame the public never stops to ask "How did these politicians raise hundreds of millions of dollars? What parts of our country have they promised to the special interests who dominate our politics?" but this is the fate of a world dominated by the five second sound byte. Jack Abernoff is out of sight and lobbying and corruption is out of mind.

Most pundits are banking on a Democratic victory in the Presidency. While they seldom explain their reasoning, the biggest reason is of course the war issue and disatisfaction with Bush Presidency. How beautifully ironic it would be to see a Paul vs Edwards or Paul vs Clinton candidacy. To watch the Democratic candidate attempt to explain away their vote for the war in Iraq, when faced with Ron Paul's brave dissenting stance, his vote against. Indeed, it would be beautiful to see the true values of conservatism, limited government and personal responsibility to be debated eloquently against the ultimately Marxist ideals of someone like Hillary Clinton and there is no question, in my opinion, that given the choice the American people will always pick freedom and peace over collectivism and war.

Let's just hope they get the chance.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Ron Paul\'s Straw Poll Showing

Then the conductor called your stop, breaking you out of your waking dream and you realized that it will be Romney or Giuliani against Clinton and Paul will have no influence on policy, the usual objective of the unelectable.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:32 PM

Thank you for repeating the message of the media for me, I had almost forgotten what CNN, ABC, MSNBC and Fox News wanted me to think.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then the conductor called your stop, breaking you out of your waking dream and you realized that it will be Romney or Giuliani against Clinton and Paul will have no influence on policy, the usual objective of the unelectable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for the record Copernicus, which Neo-con are you supporting? I know Guliani is the front-runner, but Romney just won the Straw poll. Also, that Bush wannabe Fred Thompson could actually get off his rear and run. I'd just like to know before it becomes a 100% lock for the nomination. So many of you Neo-cons were pushing George Allen before he fizzled out, just curious if your brave enough to back someone before he becomes a "lock".
Old 08-11-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jack Abernoff

[/ QUOTE ]

Abramoff
Old 08-11-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for the record Copernicus, which Neo-con are you supporting? I know Guliani is the front-runner, but Romney just won the Straw poll. Also, that Bush wannabe Fred Thompson could actually get off his rear and run. I'd just like to know before it becomes a 100% lock for the nomination. So many of you Neo-cons were pushing George Allen before he fizzled out, just curious if your brave enough to back someone before he becomes a "lock".

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't classify any of the candidates as neo-cons, but disregarding that attempt at perjorative, of the current group Giuliani. I am probably more closely aligned with Romney's policies and style than Giuliani's but I accept the reality that a Mormon can't win the big one. It is that same acceptance of the reality of anti-Black and anti-woman sentiment that gives me hope for Giuliani in the general election, not any real understanding of the issues by the swing voters. As Ive said before, sometimes you just have to take the ugly wins. They still count in the standings.

Edited to fix mis-reading of the question.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't classify any of the candidates as neo-cons

[/ QUOTE ]

They all want to torture those smelly ferrners enough to satisfy him, but some of them won't be quick enough to send deviants who happen to be US Citizens to re-education camps to qualify as "real" neo-cons.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:59 PM

I win by Giuliani is hardly a win for Republicans, Conservatives, or America.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I win by Giuliani is hardly a win for Republicans, Conservatives, or America.

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to Shrillary a one eyed cocker spaniel choosing policy by where he poops on a grid of alternatives is a win for America.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:03 AM

This was not a good showing for Ron Paul. His numbers were inflated by Giuliani and McCain not showing up. Before the poll, Paul's commincation director Jesse Benton said, ""We expect to be in the top three. We've got four staffers organizing and we've got a lot of web site RSVPs from volunteers."

Let's not forget....Ron Paul is still less popular than Tom Tancredo.