Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 03:47 PM

Default 2006-07 NBA Discussion Thread

This is the thread where all the NBA talk will go and since it is never too early to start I will get it going with some predictions/thoughts.

Western Conference

<u>The Big Three</u>

-Dallas: They have added Anthony Johnson and Austin Croshere from Indiana as well as Deveon George (LAL) and Greg Buckner (Den) but out of their additions Anthony Johnson could be the only one to see any real significant court time. Last year's draft pick Maurice Ager is average as of now but Dallas develops young talent better than anyone in the league so look to see him to progress into a decent role player eventually. They still have the same wealth of talent that took them to the finals but with probably the toughest Western Conference to date anything is possible.

-San Antonio: A year older but also the same veteran team that was seconds away from the finals last year. They lost Nazr Mohammed but replaced him with a couple similiar, role players. I don't see this team as upgrade or downgraded--which isn't a bad thing for them b/c they will be good as always.

-Phoenix: Last year they scored almost 5 more points a game w/o Amare Stoudemire in the lineup, this is nice but where they missed him was as an inside presence and defensively. He will change this team for the better obviously. They lost Tim Thomas to the Clippers which hurts and they lost Eddie House as well but with Amare back they could be the team to beat.

<u>The Next Best</u>

-Houston: McGrady and Yao will be healthy together is the first thing. Next, the additions of Bonzi Wells and Shane Battier were arguably the best of the offseason. If for once they can stay healthy they are going to be extremely competitive and well within "The Big Three."

<u>Battle of LA</u>

-LAC: They were dominating in the paint last year and will be this year as well except now they have added a big threat with Tim Thomas. He is a great sign and is what they needed, IMO. They lost Radmanovic but they got better with TT's (and I like Aaron Williams now as the back-up Center) signing but unfortunately for them the rest of the conference got better with them only making it more difficult to establish themselves as part of the elite.

-LAL: Added Radmanovic but that's really it. I put them this high b/c 1) Kobe 2) At the end of last year it looked as if Odom started to become not only a productive but a dangerous player instead of a waste of talent.

<u>Best of the Rest</u>

-Den: I like the Joe Smith addition and they also added J.R. Smith who has been playing well in preseason so far, he can shoot the three well and Denver was the worst three-point shooting team in the league last year--this should take some of the pressure off Carmelo. This is a very talented team and in the past has shown flashes of ability to play with most teams and on other occasions shown the ability to collapse. Nevertheless they are a scary team and if they are running on all cylinders will win a lot of games.

-Minn: This is a good team and maybe this year it won't be a trainwreck? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] I think Mike James is a good fit in Minnesota and that even with the competition they could squeek into the playoffs. Then again Garnett is on this team so maybe not [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

This year is going to be ridiculously competitive in the West and some good teams aren't going to make the playoffs...it could be a playoff race between LAL, Den, Min, Mem and Sac with 3 out of the 5 making it. It really is unfair being in the West.

I think the Conference is up for grabs amongst Dal, SA, and PHO and I wouldn't be surprised if either of them wins it b/c it is really so close.

Eastern Conference

<u>The Big Three</u>

-Mia: The Champs. They have one of the 3 most exciting/talented players in the game (Wade) and when he wants to be one of the more dominant players in the game (Shaq) as well as a coach with a track record of winning (Riley). Their only obstacle will probably be some kind of injury that Shaq will more than likely endure and miss a ton of games for. But with or w/o him they will be at the top and Shaq will be there come playoff time and once again they are going to be a tough team. Shaq does have a shelf life, I just wonder what it is.

-Chi: Ben Wallace. That should actually sum it up. This team was one big inside presence from being a dynamic team last year and then they add Wallace, well done. They also drafted well and pick up Adrian Griffin from Dallas--a great role player.

-Clev: They were scrappy and scary last year but they were also young. The added Scott Pollard and David Wesley this year. I was back and forth between them and Detroit. Lebron will continue to get better and better and their team will as well b/c of it, IMO.

<u>The Next Best</u>

-Det: For one they are in a tough division and that sucks. Secondly, no more Wallace and though he wasn't their best player, not even their second best player, his presence changes the game. His absence will be noticable but even still they are extremely good and will be one of the best teams in the East.

<u>Best of the Rest</u>

-NJ: They added Eddie House to a team that needed to establish it's offensive identity again. Last year they ranked 23rd in scoring, yet they have guys like Vince Carter, Richard Jefferson and Jason Kidd to lead...hmmmm. They will probably be up and down yet again.

-Ind: They added Al Harrington and Marquis Daniels which could turn out to be good pick-ups. This team has some talent with O'Neal, Jackson and Tinsley...they are considerably better than most of the East but what does that really mean?

No need to comment on any other teams b/c does it really matter? I would put Orlando in the 7th spot but from there it is anyone's fail.

Thoughts?
Comments?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:51 PM

Default Re: 2006-07 NBA Discussion Thread

I don't trust Houston, but that's just me. I like McGrady but he gets hurt way too much and their division still has two of the top 3 in the league.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:11 PM

2003/2004&amp;2004-2005 Detroit Pistons starting lineup

C: Ben Wallace
SF:Tayshaun Prince
PF:Rasheed Wallace
PG:Chauncey Billups
SG:Rip Hamilton

2006-2007 Bulls starting lineup (projected?)
C:Ben Wallace
SF:Tyrus Thomas
PF:PJ Brown
PG:Kirk Hinrich
SG:Ben Gordon

No one else sees it?
Old 10-17-2006, 04:13 PM

capone0, good to see you've finally figured out that whole there/their thing. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

td, great work on this. I also like how high you put Chicago - young, developing team (it still kills me the Suns drafted Deng and then basically got nothing for him), now they've added a proven winner (free throw line excepted, of course). Also, I think Detroit is totally butso, but I'm mostly saying that cuz I know Hornacek will read this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Should be an interesting WC to say the least. I made a prediction elsewhere that Stoudemire should be good for 18/8 this year, no way can he be expected to return to '05 form so quickly. That's the biggest wild-card among the WC big three by far. We'll see.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:17 PM

i like houston a lot. i think dallas slips from last year, and i think orlano is going to look good.

I took a futures bet with Suns over the Bulls. I watched Amare the other day on ESPN2 in a preseason game and he just didn't look healthy. Needless to say, if he isn't healthy I'm really regretting that bet.

I'm an engineer. English isn't my "first" language. ROFL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 10-17-2006, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an engineer. English isn't my "first" language. ROFL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]
But we learn the there/their thing in like 4th grade. Surely you've written.....anything since then.
(Sorry, don't mean to rag on you, I'm just amazed at how many people don't know this)

Anyways, it's all good, you know more about sports than I do anyways.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:25 PM

I don't reread because I'm lazy.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:26 PM

xorbie- Orlando will be decent. Tough to have a 20 year old carry a team but Howard is on the verge of becoming a stud.

tuq- I thought about saying something snide about Detroit only b/c Hornacek was going to read it.