Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Re: I never know how to handle these

Hi Rob - Good points in your post!

[ QUOTE ]
The 1/6 th carve up is rare.

[/ QUOTE ]"Rare" is not the word I would have chosen. I like "less likely than the 1/4 carve up" better than "rare."

Specifically, in a nine player game that is very loose pre-flop, I think you probably get quartered roughly seven or eight times as often as you get sixthed.

Specifically I think it's about 37% for getting quartered to about 5.3% for getting sixthed in a nine player no-fold-'em game. That's as calculated and also as simulated.

Of course in a real game it depends on how many of your opponents will see the flop with another A4XY. (Seems like almost all of mine will).

Buzz
Old 09-25-2007, 10:22 AM

Agreed.

But in that hand I feel much happier with 6432A Lo, hole cards contributing 4A, than I would on a 843 board, and 2A!

Whilst if players play random hands, the 54 str8 and A4 seem equally likely, actually carefully reading the hand, noting the blinds involvement, and the history of the hand, you can be fairly sure that the 1/6th on Nut Lo will occur less frequently than the 54 str8 will be 1/6 th-ed, in my view anyway!

The logical inconsistency of early replies, was in deciding a 1/4 would be more likely than the 76543 nut str8 to be 1/4-ed; in a loose game and that opponents wouldn't pay off with obviously beaten hands.

Also as you point out, poor players overvalue their hands and the SB could sometimes bet 3 pair on the river, missing the str8. Another reason why I prefer a raise in that spot.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:39 AM

Rob and Buzz - nice work through as usual.

Thanks

When more chips came my way than the others I went back and looked at the hand and was not sure where my mistake was. The turn seems to be the biggest mistake. I thought it was the river.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:11 PM

I agree with Buzz. I would definitely raise on the turn.

- chaos