Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 03:35 AM

Default Position, Would you?

Just a simple, but interesting (imo) question that popped in my head about power of position.

Would you willing to post a big blind every hand if it allowed you to act last throughout the hand (in any standard poker game)? What about specific games?
Old 12-15-2006, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Position, Would you?

I'd be more inclined to say yes for HU, maybe 3max. I doubt you can recoup the expense with more people at that table than that.

It's a good question though.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:01 AM

Short handed I could see, but I have a poker buddy that I posed the question to and he swears up and down he could make it profitable in the long run. Not so sure I agree.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:27 AM

Good question but I´m not sure... I think that it depends on the number of players aswell and how they play preflop. if they´re really aggro and raise each hand a couple of times before the flop it´s defenitely not worth it!
Old 12-15-2006, 12:41 PM

If the hands are getting consistently raised preflop I would think that would make you *more* inclined to pay for the position privilege, not less! Since position gives you an advantage in postflop play, anything that increases pot size relative to the blind money you're being forced to pay should be to your advantage...
Agree about the number of players though. Never be worth it nine or ten handed. Maybe in a six-handed pot limit game though.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:12 PM

Deep stack NL this has to be worth it. For limit games, I doubt it except heads-up and maybe 3 handed.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Deep stack NL this has to be worth it. For limit games, I doubt it except heads-up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-15-2006, 06:47 PM

isn't this easily testable by looking at your winrate on the button from PT and then subract a BB per hand? then look if that winrate is higher than your normal winrate.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:13 PM

Am I crazy here? This seems like a no-brainer NO WAY to me. Think of it this way. For the price of 1.5 BB per orbit I get to be the button and the CO. If we decide that being CO in a full handed game is half as valuable as being the button then that means that I'm already getting to be the button for the cost of 1 BB. BUT I'm also able to play 8 other hands for free every orbit. And you can't beat free. Even if I folded every hand except AA when not the CO or the Button then I'm still doing better that someone who pays the BB every hand and acts last.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BUT I'm also able to play 8 other hands for free every orbit. And you can't beat free.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true, too, but some of those free hands aren't as free as I'd like when I'm OOP come in for a raise or limp, and have someone come over the top. But again, I'd be fine with this heads up.

Anf yes, if the stacks are very deep relative to the blind I post then all the better, even in a full ring setting.