Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 06:13 AM

Default Should I have laid down my trips?

Hi, I have recently busted out of a short-handed (6 handed) MTT and I think I made a bad play. The field started at 180ish and it was down to about 45. The blinds were 400/800 and I was about 6th in chips with around 30,000. I get to see a free flop from the big blind with Q5 with another 2 or 3 players in the pot I think. Flop comes Qh 10c 8c.

I decide to put out a bet of about half to three quarters of the pot to see where I am. I get one caller (who I have covered in chips by about 8000) and the turn comes Qd. I bet the pot and then he pushes all-in. He hadn't been playing particularly loose from what I had seen and I just sensed that I was behind but I found myself calling, as I thought there was a chance he may be on a flush draw.

Looking back I believe I should have made the lay down as I almost knew I was behind even when I was calling him! Needless to say I got annoyed with myself. I need to start being able to lay down good hands when I am in tourneys and I am slowly learning to do that. Old habits die hard I guess.

Just wondered what you guys think of my play and if you agree it was a bad choice? Many thanks.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Should I have laid down my trips?

Forgot to say, he flipped over QK and I got no help from the river. Left me perilously short stacked and I busted out not long after.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:46 AM

Hard to say that you played badly - I would just say, you made a mistake. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

You got a free play from the big and flopped top-pair, no kicker on an highly dangerous board against two or even three active opponents. If you bet out, all draws (which are many!!) will call you as well as made straights and other Queens (probably with a higher kicker). Said this, your bet doesn´t get you any information, it just blows up the pot!

Referencing this dynamite board, I would just check and fold my hand (on the flop!!) to any resistance.

As played - you are at 90% behind, as your opponent easily could have a Q or even a made straight (maybe in combination with a FD). It made no sense for me to push a draw here as he could have done this easily on the flop ...

So cut your losses here and let the hand go.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:01 PM

You really need to post the Hand History next time, it's harder to calculate from just your description. You're not beating anything but a stone bluff here. It's a tough laydown, but unless you know the villain is capable of such brazen aggression it's going to be correct most of the time I think.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:08 AM

at this level I check the flop with top pair/weak kicker with 3 or 5 players to act, and re-evaluate after the action, and keep the pot as small as possible. As played, no way I'd lay that down, tough beat, but I get those every day....
Old 06-27-2007, 01:17 AM

i think you made 2 errors
1. leading out (check and see what develops)
2. calling when you are obviously beat
Old 06-27-2007, 04:12 AM

Leading the flop was a major mistake. Top pair is good and all, but you're OOP and several players have yet to act postflop. Check/fold flop.