Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Huge cuts in health care for poor

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're curious about official statistics on hunger (or "low food security") you can check out the USDA's briefing on "Food Security in the United States," which states that
[ QUOTE ]
The prevalence of very low food security remained unchanged at 3.9 percent of households. In households with very low food security, eating patterns of one or more household members were disrupted and their food intake was reduced at times during the year because the household lacked money and other resources for food.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be willing to bet money that well over half of that 3.9% is overweight.

[/ QUOTE ]
So what?
Old 02-02-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're curious about official statistics on hunger (or "low food security") you can check out the USDA's briefing on "Food Security in the United States," which states that
[ QUOTE ]
The prevalence of very low food security remained unchanged at 3.9 percent of households. In households with very low food security, eating patterns of one or more household members were disrupted and their food intake was reduced at times during the year because the household lacked money and other resources for food.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone who is overweight clearly is not limited in their ability to acquire food? Did I miss something? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone who is overweight clearly is not limited in their ability to acquire food? Did I miss something? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
First off, your willingness to "to bet money that well over half of that 3.9% is overweight" doesn't really show much, although if you have some evidence I'd love to see it.

Additionally, it does not follow that "someone who is overweight" is "not limited in their ability to acquire food." They might be, they might not be. They might be less likely to suffer from "low food security" than someone of normal weight or someone who is underweight, or they might be more likely. I'm not sure, and I'm not willing to take your word for it.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Overweight is also unhealthy, poor people can have poor nutrition on both sides of the fence which increase strain on health services. Often cheap takeout style food is favoured by poor working class who spend long hours working as the food is cheap, fast and convenient.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Overweight is also unhealthy, poor people can have poor nutrition on both sides of the fence which increase strain on health services. Often cheap takeout style food is favoured by poor working class who spend long hours working as the food is cheap, fast and convenient.

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't dispute any of that. But it would seem to indicate they aren't on the verge of starvation.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Additionally, it does not follow that "someone who is overweight" is "not limited in their ability to acquire food."

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone in the history of the world has been limited in their ability to acquire food. What is your point?
Old 02-02-2007, 03:48 AM

Another thing they aren't on the verge of ... geting a JOB to pay for some better food.

NeBlis
Old 02-02-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chicago Tribune

Cliffs notes: The Bush Admin. is proposing changing rules in Medicaid reimbursement to deny hundreds of millions of dollars to public hospitals. The cuts would cut the budget for the Cook County health system by one-third and are scheduled to go into effect in September.

Analysis: Will they never stop? For the uninsured, public health systems like this are the last resort: there is literally no other way to obtain health care for those who can't get private insurance. Now Bush wants to remove the final safety net for hundreds of thousands of people in my area. Has he no shame? The Dems better do something about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

What percentage of these "poor" people do everything they can to acquire health insurance? Maybe a second job is in order. One of the reasons some people won't help themselves is because of this "entitlement" society we live in. The poor in this country are like a bunch of spoiled brats. They should be grateful for what they have and do everything to uplift themselves. Take care of yourself first and then reproduce. What a concept. Many people across the globe would die (and some die trying) to be in their position.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:13 PM

You guys are getting way off topic. The original arguement was that the free market is extremly efficient at distributing food at a cheap price even though there is no governmental oversight. I really dont know what 3% malnutrition has to do with anything. I dont think you can argue that there are better systems to distribute food, let alone one where the givernment runs everything.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chicago Tribune

Cliffs notes: The Bush Admin. is proposing changing rules in Medicaid reimbursement to deny hundreds of millions of dollars to public hospitals. The cuts would cut the budget for the Cook County health system by one-third and are scheduled to go into effect in September.

Analysis: Will they never stop? For the uninsured, public health systems like this are the last resort: there is literally no other way to obtain health care for those who can't get private insurance. Now Bush wants to remove the final safety net for hundreds of thousands of people in my area. Has he no shame? The Dems better do something about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron, Quick question for ya:

If I'm on staff at say, Cook County, and I get called into the ER to see one of these uninsured patients, should I receive some compensation for it? If so, where should it come from? If not, why not? If I see the patient for free, should the patient retain the "right" to sue me for millions of dollars? What if they pay for my services?

Guess it turned into several questions, and maybe not quick.