Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2006, 04:09 PM

Default Mets Pitching Staff

As it is now, if the mets make the playoffs, their rotation would look something like
1 Pedro
2 Glavine
3 Trachsel
4 Duque
5 Pedro in a 5 game series

On the plus side, our playoff rotation is better than our regular rotation because we've been throwing so many scrubs, but even if all those guys stay healthy, i'm still not excited about the prospect of trachsel or el duque pitching for us in october.

So does anyone know who'se going to be available around the trading deadline? i've heard Zito, but they would want Lastings for him, and that wouldn't be the best scenario for the mets. so who else is gonna be out there and who could the mets trade for them?
Old 07-08-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Mets Pitching Staff

Ervin Santana
Old 07-08-2006, 05:47 PM

I would imagine that John Smoltz will be the best available option with Livan Hernandez second. After that, it'll be second and third tier guys that are really no better than El Duque or really expensive guys like Dontrelle Willis. It might not be a bad idea to pick another of those guys up for insurance (ie. make sure you have three healthy) as long as they are cheap.

The problem with the A's trading Zito is they would need immidiate help in return. They are going to be right in the thick of the playoff hunt, so they can't let Zito go strictly for prospects. The Giants are in the same situation with Schmidt.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:45 PM

Willis is always floated out there, but I think Florida's determined to hold to him.

Tim Hudson, if the Braves tank?
Old 07-08-2006, 06:46 PM

Angels will take Beltran for Santana.

Serious - I have heard Santana is available, but I doubt Angels GM makes a deal unless it is a very very good one. I don't think he would do Santana for Milledge straight up. If I was GM I wouldn't.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:37 PM

I have the same concerns about this staff. It amazes me that the Mets' pitching staff seems the best in the league, according to the stats. In a short series, I have very little confidence in these guys.

On the other hand, I really get the feeling that there isn't anyone available - at a reasonable price - who is much better this year.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:40 PM

willis would be amazing to have, but that seems far too good to be even remotely possible. i can't imagine the marlins trading him for almost any package of prospects. plus they arleady got all our good prospects for Delgado.

Tim Hudson? I like him, but why would the braves trade him to the Mets? i don't see that at all

Ervin Santana: 9-3, 4.13 ERA, pitching 6.1 innings a game, and he's only 23. i'd be psyched about that. but again why? he's young and pretty good so i don't see the angels parting with him.

i know it's a lot to ask, but a #3 starter is what the mets really need. the bullpen is solid, i think one more starter and we could be a threat in the playoffs.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:10 PM

I think the Mets would be insane to send Pelfrey back down to the minors with the problems they have in the middle of their rotation (to say nothing of the back). I could easily be wrong about this, but I think he's considerably better than Trachsel right now, and would make a fine #3 starter.

Also, is anyone else excited about Henry Owens? He's a 27 year old rookie relief pitcher, but he looks incredible. In 25 innings at AA, he had a 1.08 ERA, 8 BBs, and 51 strikeouts. His first three big league innings have been hitless too, for what it's worth.

With Pelfrey and Owens, as well as Bannister returning from injury soon and El Duque looking like a perfectly acceptable 4th/5th starter, I think the Mets can get by without trading for pitching help. Doesn't mean they won't or even shouldn't, but it's not a necessity.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is anyone else excited about Henry Owens? He's a 27 year old rookie relief pitcher, but he looks incredible. In 25 innings at AA, he had a 1.08 ERA, 8 BBs, and 51 strikeouts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm intrigued by him, but don't know what to think. His late rookie age can be explained by the fact that he was originally a catcher.

I missed him pitch, so only the highlights. All I say from the highlights was a strong fast ball. What are his other pitches? Can he throw a breaking pitch for a strike consistently?
Old 07-08-2006, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can he throw a breaking pitch for a strike consistently?

[/ QUOTE ]

Having seen only the 3 MLB innings, I can't say for sure. Still, his superb K/BB ratio in the minors would suggest that he throws strikes.