Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 09:54 AM

Default All American Football League

Has anyone heard about this new league (not to be confused with the UFL which has Cuban supposedly signed up).

I hadn't and it seems like tryouts are today. Basically here is the layout:

Build a base with college towns after the college season is over (Spring). Play games on Saturdays. Players will be paid between 50 and 100k. 15 of the 45 team rosters must be from the host institution or close school. Teams will wear the colors of the "host" school.

The Board of Directors includes a lot of former NCAA bigshots (Cedric Dempsey the former head of NCAA, one former ACC commissioner and the former Tenn. AD Doug Dickey, among others).

Teams play a 10 game schedule and there are 6 teams.
Michigan (played at Ford Field)
Florida (Gainesville)
Tennessee (Knoxville)
Texas (San Antonio/Alamodome)
Alabama (Birmingham Legion Field)
Arkansas (War Mem. Stadium, Little Rock)

The Florida Team named Shane Matthews its coach. And signed Travis McGriff, Ran Carthon, Judd Davis, Chris Doering, Tony George, Willie Jackson, Steve Rissler, Fred Weary and Eli Williams.

The Alabama team has signed Freddie Milons.

Personally I don't think this league will do that well. It is another interesting concept though. Going after the college towns at a time when no football is going on. As opposed to the UFL which to my last knowledge is supposed to compete directly with the NFL.

Google it you can find their website and all of the news stories about it. The NYT and ESPN Klosterman article are pretty good. I only heard about it because there was a story in the Mpls paper today because former MN WR standout Ron Johnson is trying out for it.

Anyone think it will succeed?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:44 AM

Default Re: All American Football League

O/U 1 season...
Old 09-15-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Re: All American Football League

if they get a tv contract they will be ok look at the success of the arena league
i like the idea and the territoral selection of players was used before by at least the usfl and helps build up some interest they just cant try to compete with the nfl early (or ever likely) w/ tv deal i put over/under at 4 years