Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 11:07 AM

Default Re: WPT World Championship thread

was Carlos's Ex-wife in the audience?they seemed so happy a few years ago when the WPT did a small segment on them when he took down his 1st WPT title.now they are divorced go figure?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:17 AM

There were childhood sweethearts IIRC...it was a bit surprising. But then again...you know Carlos has had some amazing 'opportunities' over the years...it would be extremely difficult not to give in to temptation at least once or twice. And even if he doesn't it can make for a very jealous wife. Not saying this was in any way what happened but...Carlos' fame had to put a strain on the relationship.

And somebody's gotta say it:
Carlos [censored] Mortensen
Old 08-09-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he's more of a retard than a douchebag.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best you can offer are insults? I may be out of the loop and you may be some superstar but you really are not offering anything to this thread except for childish remarks.

As for Kirk -- Several decisions he made were questionable at best, but what some need to take away from it is that the guy does analyze and think through every hand. I don't have his success and will share my opinion that he took way too long to call with three jacks BUT I certainly don't fault him for his play. Mike and VVP were way too critical with the slow roll comments. If he had the nuts, fine, be that critical.

It made for good TV but really was not that big a deal.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Say Carlos had AA or KK or AK. He reraises for 1/3 of Kirk's stack, Kirk calls. Carlos puts Kirk squarely on QQ, JJ, TT, 99. The flop comes Q J 9. Carlos is done with the hand on that flop. That's what Kirk is thinking, how the hell did that flop not scare the crap out of Carlos given the preflop action? QQ (or KT) is the only hand that it makes any sense to bet into me there, and he's right, it is. Then he decided, to hell with it, I can't possibly fold this, but I don't think he had a clue what Carlos had, and actually thought there was a real chance that he was way behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. He knew it was either QQ, KK, or AQ and took his time to consider his situation. I can't remember how many were left when this hand took place but the real cash dollar swing had to be between $500K and just under $4M. Nothing wrong with taking time to consider his situation.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
well he's a better tournament player than i probably will ever be and i make that call instantly so maybe im the retard...

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's Kirk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say Carlos had AA or KK or AK. He reraises for 1/3 of Kirk's stack, Kirk calls. Carlos puts Kirk squarely on QQ, JJ, TT, 99. The flop comes Q J 9. Carlos is done with the hand on that flop. That's what Kirk is thinking, how the hell did that flop not scare the crap out of Carlos given the preflop action? QQ (or KT) is the only hand that it makes any sense to bet into me there, and he's right, it is. Then he decided, to hell with it, I can't possibly fold this, but I don't think he had a clue what Carlos had, and actually thought there was a real chance that he was way behind.

[/ QUOTE ]
This has to be a level.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @ you. Are you so used to rapid fire instacalls that you see on TV that you can't comprehend that someone may think through a hand that, if they lose, knocks them out of a tournament that they feel pretty good about getting to one or two? A swing of roughly $3.5M? You armchair poker players who see everyone's cards on your screen and know what the best play is all the time are a laugh.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
well he's a better tournament player than i probably will ever be and i make that call instantly so maybe im the retard...

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's Kirk.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This has to be a level.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @ you. Are you so used to rapid fire instacalls that you see on TV that you can't comprehend that someone may think through a hand that, if they lose, knocks them out of a tournament that they feel pretty good about getting to one or two? A swing of roughly $3.5M? You armchair poker players who see everyone's cards on your screen and know what the best play is all the time are a laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking through the decision is fine, but it took him like 2 minutes TV time to make the decision, and who knows if maybe longer actual time. I just think that as Mike said "Vince, if he's got 3 queens he's got them", you can't play JJ there and expect to fold on that flop. I mean it's not like their playing 200 BB stacks here. Its the late stages in a tournament with 30 BB or so. You can't escape sets over sets in this particualar dynamic. I may have taken like 5-10 seconds to double check board and then called, and I think any other experienced player would have done the same.

G
Old 08-09-2007, 01:37 PM

I can't completely fault him for taking his time to think the hand through, but I would have instacalled. I mean Carlos wouldn't have finished saying awwwwwwwin before I said 'Call'. But then again, one of my biggest flaws in my game is acting before fully running down the hand in my head. If I were on TV and in this position I would like to think that I would give it at least 10-15 seconds to double-check everything, but when you hit a flop like that there's no way I am considering a fold.

Cliff Notes: Not absolute nuts, so slow roll accusations may be a little much, especially when the player does tend to analyze hands quite a bit.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cliff Notes: Not absolute nuts, so slow roll accusations may be a little much, especially when the player does tend to analyze hands quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought a slow roll was when you knew you had the best hand but took your time just to be a ball buster. It was clear that though Kirk took a long time to call it wasn't because he was slow rolling. Rightly or wrongly, he agonized over the decision and felt he might be behind.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought a slow roll was when you knew you had the best hand but took your time just to be a ball buster. It was clear that though Kirk took a long time to call it wasn't because he was slow rolling. Rightly or wrongly, he agonized over the decision and felt he might be behind.

[/ QUOTE ]
and he made sure to say "Sorry, Carlos" and try to explain after the hand
Old 08-09-2007, 02:36 PM

Yeah, he wasn't purposefully slowrolling Carlos. I think the idea of Carlos having QQ just got stuck in his head and he couldn't shake it.