Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 01:08 AM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (10/15)

[ QUOTE ]
i will tell you that your opinion sounds more like that of a newbie afraid to lose his small bankroll moreso than an experienced player who realizes that he needs to bankroll himself adequately to allow him to actually play the game.
if you have very strict starting hand requirements in nl holdem ... you may not be a beginner but you play like one.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
do you play no limit very much?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
perhaps you choose to not believe all indications that phil was about to call sammy on the river there.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was close. But he didn't. And that is like close to the ideal situation for sammy, hitting his king and having phil have the best possible hand below one pair kings. If you can't get paid off there don't you think you might be in trouble?

[ QUOTE ]
ok genius. if we only play hands that we believe we can stack our opponent with.. what would that be. you have to play to have a chance to ever stack your opponent. i've stacked more opps with 26 off than i have with AKsuited. what's your experience? usually the opponenet made some huge mistake during the hand. do you not notice that most times that you stack an opponenet he was either ahead preflop or ahead on the flop and you came from behind to bust him? hell.. in this hand blah blah blah blah

[/ QUOTE ]

OK so wait. Your argument is that any hand plays preflop for an eighth of your stack?

This isn't about "starting hands" in general. It's about starting hands for an eighth of your stack versus an extremely tight range. (I would put Hellmuth on AQ+, 88+ at a minimum in that spot and probably tighter).

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a question for the Sammy haters.
How do you explain the fact that such a "bad player" has been winning at poker for years playing the highest stakes available?

Chew on that for a while and if the only answer that you come up with is "Just a gambler that has been running good" then I know enough about you.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wins at PLO, and he beats players even worse than he is at other games.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:28 AM

Jennifer, if it's relevant to your life in any way, this 21 year old thinks you're super hot.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:28 AM

chris why are you even bothering to argue lol
Old 10-19-2007, 11:42 AM

traz i have no idea lol

in general I enjoy shattering people's illusions about their heroes, but there isn't much chance of that. i guess i have too much time on my hands? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like Farha and his style of playing.
I guess it doesn`t fit with the "I read 100 books and been studying poker for decades and this is just bad play PERIOD!!" kind of mentality.
It`s on a different level.

How do you explain the fact that such a "bad player" has been winning at poker for years playing the highest stakes available?

Chew on that for a while and if the only answer that you come up with is "Just a gambler that has been running good" then I know enough about you.

[/ QUOTE ]

After chewing on it, I would say that he doesnt play this way normally. For whatever reason he has decided to donk it up on TV. No way he is successful if this is his normal playing style.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After chewing on it, I would say that he doesnt play this way normally. For whatever reason he has decided to donk it up on TV. No way he is successful if this is his normal playing style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I agree and everything you said is common sense and nobrainer really.

I just get lil annoyed by hate posts that attack Pros because of some personal grudge they have against them.
I guess Pros have to play perfectly every freaking poker session in order to justify their millions.
I think it`s jealousy talking more then anything allthough I can understand the hate somewhat... for example I don`t think anyone can ever change my mind about Jerry Yang after what I saw from him and the longer I watched him the annoyance became borderline hatred.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:01 PM

Yawnaments, get rid of Farha and maybe Elly.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like Farha and his style of playing.
I guess it doesn`t fit with the "I read 100 books and been studying poker for decades and this is just bad play PERIOD!!" kind of mentality.
It`s on a different level.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's probably close enough to normal for him. remember, he's probably not used to playing full ring NLHE. imagine how his style would do in a 4 handed PLO game.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's probably close enough to normal for him. remember, he's probably not used to playing full ring NLHE. imagine how his style would do in a 4 handed PLO game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I think you nailed it. Obviously Sammy doesn't make money from running good. I think it's a combination of his style being suited to A) high stakes games, B) more suited to PLO, and C) more suited to short-handed games, which he probably plays a lot (he might even play a lot of heads-up).

And I don't think he changes his play well for a full ring NLHE game. He probably wants to stick with what's been working for him, which is in general the right way to think. Though in the specific HSP TV show situation, it's probably not a good idea.

I also doubt advertising is a part of this - my guess is that this is just how Sammy plays.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
traz i have no idea lol

in general I enjoy shattering people's illusions about their heroes, but there isn't much chance of that. i guess i have too much time on my hands? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i enjoy watching people whom expect the rest of the world to play the game the way they think it should be played. and seeing that people have success going against it.

i also like it that although you mentioned in a previous post that phil checked the flop when sammy hit the king .. you failed to mention that he also called 50k on the turn. so that 25 k call without a hand.. resulted in practically a 100k profit. so he called with 1/8 of his stack then grew his stack by 50 percent.