Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 03:49 PM

Default reverse implied odds: can u post HHs as example

Hi guys, after 8 months of poker since i started i didn't have any succes and burned a lot of cash investing in pokerprogams like pokertracker, cardrunners subscription etc.

Now i'm after a break and i wanna start from scratch again. So i started re-reading every book i once read and things are becoming more clear now then when i first read the book.

Now the topic..reverse implied odds. I understand the use of implied odds and how they can determine a certain play to be right when at first it looks wrong. For exemple setmining etc..

But reverse implied odds..i don't know and don't understand when implied odds are getting reversed. Can anyone post here HHs which show when reverse implied odds are coming into play?

thanks
Old 09-16-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: reverse implied odds: can u post HHs as example

Look in your own hand history where you raised AQ or AJ from early position, flopped top pair, then ended up losing to AK at showdown after making at least 2 or more pot-sized bets and/or calls. Every chip you put in after the initial raise is an example of reverse implied odds because you ended up losing a significant portion of your stack post-flop after hitting your hand on the flop. In this case, your dominated ace + early position = lost 2 or more pot-sized bets post-flop despite hitting top pair on the flop.

"Reverse implied odds" is essentially the "implied odds" that you are offering to your opponents when you play certain hands from certain positions in certain ways. Good examples of hands where you run the risk a lot of reverse implied odds are hands that flop top-pair + weak kicker when you are out of position. Other examples might be overpairs that you play weakly preflop, but overplay post flop. For example, if you play AA for a small raise in MP after several limpers, then you will usually offer too much in the way of implied odds to the other players to call in a multi-way pot in which you will bet or call much more on later streets with your overpair before realizing that you are beaten (if you don't stack off first). So, when your stack is offering good "implied odds" to others, then you are getting "reverse implied odds" yourself.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Re: reverse implied odds: can u post HHs as example

Thanks for the explenation! Also found more about his in the concept of the week topic from Ecw about RIO..