Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Question about QJs UTG in 10NL 6m

I know that the general consensus is dont open limp in 6max
and ever since I've read Tien's 6max article I've tried to adhere to this 'rule' most of the time. There is also the idea that every 'rule' in poker is meant to be broken given the right conditions. In this particular hand I fold, because of the rules. I dont want to open limp, but I dont feel particularly comfortable open raising. QJs is a nice hand however, and can play very well in large multiway pots. I think folding gives up on a lot of preflop equity. Raising will often thin the field and put me to a lot of tougher post flop decisions and could have reverse implied odds since I'll often be in trouble if I happen to flop top pair oop. This makes me think that open limping might be ok. It will encourage other players to limp behind me. Also, a lot of players at 10NL either raise way too much or not enough PF. Example, you open limp utg QJs 2 other players limp and the button raises to 3x the BB. Easy call, and usually everybody comes along. These are the sort of pots I want to be playing with hands like this. In a multiway pot, this hand almost plays itself. Either you flop a nice draw, or 2 pair+ or you go home.

Guess I'm looking for some feedback on my line of thinking here. I just want to win more monies. If open limping is still bad in any situation please explain why especially for my circumstances.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

BB ($5.75)
Hero ($17.55)
MP ($11.65)
Button ($13.20)
SB ($4.30)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J, Q.
[color=#666666]2 folds</font>, [color=#CC3333]Button raises to $0.3</font>, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.65) 2, 7, 8 [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
BB checks, [color=#CC3333]Button bets $0.5</font>, BB calls $0.50.

Turn: ($1.65) 2 [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]BB bets $0.7</font>, Button calls $0.70.

River: ($3.05) T [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]BB bets $0.8</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: $3.85

PS: sorry bout the goof up with the hand converter.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Question about QJs UTG in 10NL 6m

I don't like your idea of open limping although I see your reasoning.

The thing is, that with only 6 players you rarely get the pot equity to make playing multi-way hands from EP profitable. If you are for some reason sure that (1) there will be lots of limpers behind you and (2) nobody will raise behind you then it might be an OK play but you can almost never be sure of that.

Had you raised this, you might have taken it down with a c-bet. But this is also hugely dependend on the table dynamics. If you are (1) resonably sure that nobody will 3-bet you light and (2) that not more than 2 people will call your pre-flop raise then I like a raise from UTG. (1) should be a given at NL10 but (2) is often not the case at NL10 6max tables.

Default play would be fold I think.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:22 PM

tl;dr.

don't sweat the small pots... fold this pf. You want to seek out simple straight forward situations. which limping QJs utg for 10nl plaer prob. is not.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is, that with only 6 players you rarely get the pot equity to make playing multi-way hands from EP profitable. If you are for some reason sure that (1) there will be lots of limpers behind you and (2) nobody will raise behind you then it might be an OK play but you can almost never be sure of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

At 10NL, multiway pots are very common. It's common to see a couple of limpers, then a small raise to 30cents from CO or button. People defend their blinds way too often at 10NL so you frequently see one of the blinds come along as well. You'll very rarely see limpers fold to a raise unless it's a big one. So many PFR's are too small though to thin out the field. This creates a lot raised 4 player pots. Is QJs not a good hand to play in these types of pots. Not all tables are like this at 10NL by while I'm 6tabling I often notice that one table is very loose passive. Raising myself doesnt seem good to me because of position.

For a preflop investment of 30cents in a 4way pot does this not look like +EV?