Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 12:35 AM

Default Who invited Jennifer Tilly? (PSI 3)

While the preliminary matches are mainly a luckfest, I find myself watching Poker Superstars every week. After watching tonight's show, I want to know who makes the determination on who is invited to this show. If you want those cans on tv, why not just show her every two hands that Phil Laak plays? Others that I can't understand selecting are Mimi Tran and Jeff Shulman.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Who invited Jennifer Tilly? (PSI 3)

They are giving the audiance what they want. The audiance wants all-in's and celebrity BS, not poker.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They are giving the audiance what they want. The audiance wants all-in's and celebrity breasts, not poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2006, 01:22 AM

Along with the marketing ability of being a celebrity she above all has 2 women's titles playing poker. One WPT and most importantly WSOP, so you're right I guess I don't understand why she was invited......
Old 05-22-2006, 01:34 AM

I don't think winning two women's titles and playing for ~3 years makes you a poker superstar.

In any event she's an interesting character who brings something to the show that will hopefully increase viewing.

I thought she played fairly [censored] however.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:30 AM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
Who invited Jennifer Tilly? (PSI 3)

[/ QUOTE ]

someone with a penis who likes low cut dresses. just a guess...

rj
Old 05-22-2006, 04:41 AM

tilly is hot
Old 05-22-2006, 08:18 AM

I'd say the people in charge of wanting higher ratings brought her on.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:54 AM

There will always be naysayers; you can't please everyone. I find it more interesting that such an elite group of pros were assembled in the first place. When filmed, the field owned 54 WSOP bracelets, 12 WPT titles, and 8 World Championships. Also at the time of the filming, the WPT World Poker Finals were taking place at Foxwoods, and yet every one of the participants at PSIT III felt it was more important to pony up $50 grand and appear on this program than play there. That's why when you look at who finished in the money at Foxwoods back in November, you'll notice a distinct absence of many highly profile players. The top pros want to play in the Superstars event; the television exposure is fantastic for them, and where else are you going to see this many stars competing against one another without a bunch of no-name amateurs dominating the table? Rather than questioning those who put the field together, I say kudos to them for being able to do so!

PSIT II was FSN's highest rated show on a weekly basis. I don't know how the ratings are for the third season, but with the field having more superstars than in the second, I would bet they're doing okay. And we're only 11 weeks into a 36 week season and halfway through the qualifying rounds.

There are threads on here about the WPT's ratings going down, and how their new PPT will allow only 200 or so top pro players to participate in their freeroll tournaments, names the fans recognize and want to tune in to watch. Sounds similar to what the Superstars is all about, and I for one hope the new PPT will be a huge success.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:18 AM

Many of these poker "superstars" are media created anyways (not so much at this tournament but elsewhere). While the media does show us the top pros it creates people that don't deserve it or who are of little importance. For example, Paul Phillips at this years HU tournament. Professionals have said that Paul has given up poker, so why invite him to this tournament? Because people "know" him and he can attract media. If he doesn't play anymore, I don't care about him. Last year's tourney I thought he possibly had gone off the deepend.

If she brings more viewers to the show than that benefits us as poker players. God I hate to say that. Shows like PSI need to stay around because it's a MUCH better representation of poker than WPT and WSOP. No donkies. No stupid celebrations after hands are won. (My mind flashes back to that moron at last years WSOP who yelled all the time with the soccer jersey and crazy hair that everyone wanted to shoot)

I liked Tily's aggressive style at the PSI3, but she played too reckless wild aggressive and it hurt her more than anything. Like all of us, her game could use more work.