Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 07:55 AM

Default Re: $114: Good spot for an action limp?

Mis read last night. Thought we we're on button. I like a standard raise unless we really know he's repushing on us hard. However, I guess if we know he's repushing real light we might be able to call.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is JJ strong enough to want to lose the FE against the shorties - or is our main concern here that if we raise, big stack is likely to push if the shorties fold, knowing that we probably can't call?

The other two are both around the 10BB mark and bigstack can't afford to call loose, so I'd usually push - but I'd like to understand more about this idea. I'm not entirely sure what we want to happen, and why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, It is strong enough. The idea with the action limp is to either induce one of the shorties to shove, or to get the big stack to stick in a raise of like 4 or 5x and then I can come over the top.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about just shoving? JJ is really strong but doesn't allow BB to play back at us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Darin,
did you see the bb = 200? i think we are deep for this.

also, if i open raise to 500 (which would be my standard) i am calling a push from the bb, especially given the action last hand. if i limp and bb raises to 700, then i push.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is JJ strong enough to want to lose the FE against the shorties - or is our main concern here that if we raise, big stack is likely to push if the shorties fold, knowing that we probably can't call?

The other two are both around the 10BB mark and bigstack can't afford to call loose, so I'd usually push - but I'd like to understand more about this idea. I'm not entirely sure what we want to happen, and why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, It is strong enough. The idea with the action limp is to either induce one of the shorties to shove, or to get the big stack to stick in a raise of like 4 or 5x and then I can come over the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

action limping is good i think, JJ is also strong enough to open to 500 with IMO
Old 08-29-2007, 04:23 PM

Raising to 500 and calling a BB shove is easily the worst play. This is a very clear limp. Imagine if you had AK instead of JJ...you still gonna make it t500 and call a shove? (Hint: It's -EV against all ranges). You are close to "your hand doesn't matter" territory though not totally because you are committed against the short stack. All making it 500 does is turn your JJ into garbage against all but the dumbest BB's.

Edit: Pushing is fine too
Old 08-29-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising to 500 and calling a BB shove is easily the worst play. This is a very clear limp. Imagine if you had AK instead of JJ...you still gonna make it t500 and call a shove? (Hint: It's -EV against all ranges). You are close to "your hand doesn't matter" territory though not totally because you are committed against the short stack. All making it 500 does is turn your JJ into garbage against all but the dumbest BB's.

Edit: Pushing is fine too

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess so but that also assumes all big stacks come over the top of an open 100% of the time right? also, what if a big stack is dumb enough to call shoves loose but not shove over raies as often? i guess im asking if you ever do anything but action limp in light of a read.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:04 PM

i don't know why everyone thinks the bigstack is gonna repush light if OP raises to 500. it is not like shorty has 140 chips. i would put his repush range on something like 99 AQ. if you think he is gonna come light maybe add in 77/88 AJs KQS. i just cant remember the last time i saw the bigstack repush in this spot with A9s, ATo, or 66.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:25 PM

Anything wrong with raising to 500, & calling shoves from all but the BB?

I didn't think a solid BB is supposed to shove loose here when he only has you covered by 600. Maybe I have a leak because If I'm BB I'm only shoving at most 99+ AQ+. Should BB be shoving alot looser than this?
Old 08-29-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising to 500 and calling a BB shove is easily the worst play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I'm bad then.

Ryan