Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Touchy work situation

I have a very good paying job - I like the work, like my boss. Recently, there was a seminar I wanted to attend that relates to my field very well. I was somewhat set to go when some finacial freezes took place meaning that I could not expense the seminar trip.

It's not that expensive, and I find myself REALLY annoyed at that whole situation. My boss has tried to get around it, but it's just a beurocratic thing.

I'm trying to not let this issue affect the overall job, but it has really lowered my moral the past couple weeks. I just can't help feeeling it's a slap in the face and they don't value my work enough since other exception to the freeze have been made.

Just looking for advice/comments/different perspectives.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Touchy work situation

sounds like you don't like your job as much as you think you do
Old 05-10-2007, 06:09 PM

How small is your company or how big. That is a real blow, if you can, don't stand for this. Remember managers are in part evaluated based on how well they control costs, and misleading their direct reports is not out of the question. Just a thought. And you have full rate to be angry.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just can't help feeeling it's a slap in the face and they don't value my work enough since other exception to the freeze have been made.

[/ QUOTE ]
If exceptions are being made, then there is only one reason why you can't go...

Your boss is either unwilling or unable to get you an exception.

Unwilling = you're not worth going to bat for.

Unable = your boss doesn't have the political clout to get you an exception.

Either way, it's bad news for you.

No matter how much you like your boss, the writing is on the wall.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:25 PM

It's a very big company with lots of rules. The type of company where the approval has to go up a couple levels to get exceptions made. Boss was definintely willing, but not able.

I think "writing on the wall" is a little too dramatic here - I have had things more expensive than this get approval and I have a decent amount of influence to get things I feel are necessary.

The frustrating part is this job is for the most part very good, and I don't want to jeoardize it with a bad attitude from my anger over this situation.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:30 PM

Why not get pre-approval from now on?
Old 05-13-2007, 10:22 PM

Have you expensed seminars before? How often do other people get to expense seminars? Are the people successful in expensing these things from a different dept? Do any have a lower rank than you? What are the nature of those financial freezes?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:19 PM

1)Unable
2)Unwilling
What are you?? a Trekkie??!?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:39 PM

The company is trying to cut expenses. You claim to enjoy working there, but you don't want to contribute to the expense cutting effort by not going to a silly seminar. Maybe you should develop a more team oriented attitude that might get you farther in your career?

And most seminars are wasteful. If you really feel this seminar is the exception, and that it will help your career, think about paying for it yourself. Otherwise just be a big boy and don't pout that you aren't allowed to blow some company money. The more money the company makes, the more opportunities people with good attitudes will find there.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:48 AM

I see your point Desertcat, however i dont agree.

If you are a "Valued employee", you sometimes have to make a point of "doing some whining", dont walk around and pout all day, but looking up the head honcho and speaking your mind is seldom a bad thing (in my experience).

Most bosses ive ever had have appriciated honesty, and like having people around that dont pussyfoot around.

Tell the person in charge you think its BS that a seminar that you think will help you in your professional life (the work you do for them) is being bumper. If its a small cost then even easier to justify.

IMHO