Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 12:40 PM

Default Best way to learn

I have been playing(if you can call it that) golf for 7 years. However, I stink, I can't even finish an easy 18 hole course, this may be due to the fact that i never had a lesson. I am willing over the course of this summer to spend 300 on golf. What would be the best way for me to able to get me to finish an 18 hole course and even better still get under 100?

Thank you,
Old 05-09-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Best way to learn

[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing(if you can call it that) golf for 7 years. However, I stink, I can't even finish an easy 18 hole course, this may be due to the fact that i never had a lesson. I am willing over the course of this summer to spend 300 on golf. What would be the best way for me to able to get me to finish an 18 hole course and even better still get under 100?

Thank you,

[/ QUOTE ]

7 years? sucks to hear your in a wheelchair (i assume). spend the 300 on a pool cue and chalk.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:55 PM

I've never had a lesson and I've been playing for 7 years and I still cant break 70 regularly.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:43 PM

Wrong assumption, Limon. But, eh. I play 4 times a year, I think that may be part of the problem.

Ghostface did anyone teach, father, friends ect?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:05 PM

Without a doubt, get lessons. If you practice what you learn in the lessons I think you'll be shocked at the progress you'll make. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wrong assumption, Limon. But, eh. I play 4 times a year, I think that may be part of the problem.

Ghostface did anyone teach, father, friends ect?

[/ QUOTE ]

I played a couple hundred rounds my first year. My friend's dad worked at a course so I could play at two different ones for free.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:53 PM

I don't understand why you can't finish the round? Are you running out of balls or running out of patience? Either way, you will never be good at golf without putting in the hard work this game requires.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thank you,

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been playing for 5 years and I have never taken a lesson and consistently shoot around 88-92. I guess I just have natural athletic ability from baseball and other sports and I also have fun practicing on my own, figuring out my mistakes and improving and dont think that having lessons would be fun, but that is just me
Old 05-09-2007, 04:54 PM

I run out of balls. Basically between the 3 of us we can't finish it, where 15 balls isn't enough. And if there is any kind of step incline or water hazard on a par four forget about it. I guess, I should have expected some ridicule, but I was looking more for how other got started. Also, what amount of money should i save to get decent lessons, I do not want to throw money away. I guess I could just play one of you for 5 dollars a point with lessons, but that could get expense [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 05-09-2007, 04:59 PM

I'd say to take a 45 minute / 1hr lesson at any course. Just ask the pro shop for their 1hr rates and go from there. Soak up and learn as much as you can within the hour.

Then go to the library and check out 3-4 books. (They all pretty much say the same thing) Or go to the bookstore, pick up a book and re-read it a few times. Then it's practicing your butt off...