Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 10:09 PM

Default MBA finance jobs (<50 hrs / week)

Hopefully some of you that have been in the finance industry can help me out here.

What kind of jobs are available to business school grads that dont require working 50+ hrs week?
What kind of salaries do these jobs offer?

Thanks,

RunningSixes
Old 05-01-2007, 10:15 AM

Default Re: MBA finance jobs (<50 hrs / week)

I'm a financial analyst (commercial loan underwriter) for a bank. Started around $40K in Albuquerque, with four years prior work experience. 40-hr work week, rare overtime, rare travel, very relaxed environment. Get to see a lot of different types of businesses, real estate investments, Native American deals, etc. Good benefits, three full weeks paid vacation plus floating holidays, 401k contributions matched 100% by company stock after one year. Currently make $50K base salary....got a promotion and raise a few days ago [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If you have an analytical mind and understand financial statements, ratios, cash flow calculations, various business structures, and pay attention to details, then you can do well as a loan underwriter. At first I was wary of working for a bank...my MBA banking class was mostly about bond portfolios, not credit decisions. Now I love it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ScottieK
Old 05-01-2007, 01:06 PM

Maybe work for a university endowment office? Friend of mine did that, I think it was close to 40 hrs, but I imagine this varies quite a bit from school to school. Or just teach, obv.

I wish this was getting more answers, I'd also be interested to know the options.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish this was getting more answers, I'd also be interested to know the options.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, maybe there aren't that many business jobs out there that have less than 50 hr work weeks. One finance MBA I know works for an Air Force budget office, setting and monitoring budgets...I can't imagine her work week being more than 50 hrs. Any bank that does commercial lending has a group of analysts like me, and I'm guessing most of them have finance or accounting BBA's at least, if not MBA's. Although my salary is below the average for finance MBA's, salaries in Albuquerque as a group are typically below the national average...and I really don't care about it too much.

Guessing most of the ambitious finance MBA's go to stock brokerages, CPA firms, consulting firms, or maybe even investment banking firms or mutual/hedge funds...but I'm pretty sure those are more than 50 hr/week jobs, and very stressful...but financially rewarding.

ScottieK
Old 05-02-2007, 11:28 AM

There is no such thing as a white collar job worth doing that requires less than 50 hours per week. 55 hours a week is the new 40 hours a week.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no such thing as a white collar job worth doing that requires less than 50 hours per week. 55 hours a week is the new 40 hours a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about commercial loan underwriters?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about commercial loan underwriters?

[/ QUOTE ]

TY. I've done the 50+ hr work weeks at my previous job, with planned and unplanned (but paid) overtime, and short notice travel. And that job was essentially busywork that got shelved by our government client. No thanks.

ScottieK
Old 05-04-2007, 01:36 AM

Many Credit Analyst / Underwriter jobs do not require an MBA. I worked as one for two years with a similar benefit structure as ScottieK, and from my personal experience I would not recommenced to someone with a decent MBA. Honestly, I would try looking around http://www.usajobs.opm.gov . Plus, some of jobs that the government needs qualified people for are not always interesting, but they do compensate that with a salary premium. Just a thought to consider.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully some of you that have been in the finance industry can help me out here.

What kind of jobs are available to business school grads that dont require working 50+ hrs week?
What kind of salaries do these jobs offer?

Thanks,

RunningSixes

[/ QUOTE ]

if you find something you love, 60 hrs a week wont feel like work.

Barron
Old 05-04-2007, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

if you find something you love, 60 hrs a week wont feel like work.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

But it still may to your wife and kids if applicable.