Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 04:10 PM

Default KQ bluff against a tight European player

Read only by reputation. I've just been taking shots at this level and decided to run a bluff here. His flopcall didn't surprise me but I really wanted him to let go on the turn. When he didn't I had to assume an overpair (or AT) and probably QQ or JJ. I got a little lucky on the end. Would you have played it differently?

$5/$10 Full Ring

BB $1942.08.
UTG $1118.76.
UTG+1 $201.00.
MP1 $1652.00.
Villain has $985.00.
MP3 $130.20.
Hero has $1148.00.
Cutoff $1000.00.
Button $962.00.
SB $980.00.

Hero: Ks Qc

Pre-flop: 4 folds. Villain raises to $35. Hero calls $35.

Flop (7d 7c 10s):
Villain bets $50.00, Hero raises $165.00, Villain calls.

Turn (7d 7c 10s 2d):
Villain checks, Hero bets $225, Villain calls.

River (7d 7c 10s 2d Qd):
Both check

Showdown (in white):
<font color="white">LikeAVirgin shows Jd Jh.
LikeAVirgin has 7d 7c Jd Jh Qd: Two Pair
_RUSE_ shows Ks Qc.
_RUSE_ has 7d 7c Qc Qd Ks: Two Pair

Pot Summary:
Total Pot: $865.00
_RUSE_ wins $862.00.
House Rake: $3.00 </font>
Old 06-06-2006, 05:49 PM

Default Re: KQ bluff against a tight European player

So a weak player raised preflop in middle position. That likely means either a decent pair, or a strong ace.

Flop came down looking good for you, insofar as it was unlikely to connect with the villain. However, at the same time, you still have nothing, and any ace or pair is ahead of you.

I fold to his flop bet. But fine, you want to take a shot at him, hoping he's on AK/AQ and will fold to a raise. Not entirely unreasonable with this board.

However, he calls your raise. That's a decent sign that:

1. He's got a pair.
2. He doesn't have anything, but he thinks you're even weaker than he is.

So fine, he hasn't displayed great strength here, but I still see your turn bet as being little more than a dark tunnel bluff. The pot is like $410, so you're giving him like 3:1 with that bet there, which is just asking for a call, especially from a hand that was willing to stick around with to your raise on the flop.

The river I think you're probably fine on, although maybe betting is correct there, as he clearly doesn't believe you, so he might call one more bet with a medium pocket, or with AK, but probably not, as it's a sufficiently scary card for AK or those pockets that he'd probably fold there.

I also give strong consideration to folding preflop. A tight player is coming in there with AK and AQ pretty often, so if you hit top pair, you shouldn't even have much confidence that they're good.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:00 AM

Default Re: KQ bluff against a tight European player

Thanks for that cogent breakdown. My turnbet was intended to convince my opponent that i had a 87/97s type hand and that he'd better run. AK/AQ folds here; his call tells me he either has a hand like 87/97s himself or (more likely) something like AT, JJ or QQ. Which is why I check behind on the river that helps me.

I usually do fold preflop in these spots but my plan here was somewhat different. I wanted to play my position (if i could get it) because I had been perceived as being tight. Needless to say, I could have picked a better spot!