Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Question about Tout Service

My father, who knows enough about stocks to realize he isnt going to pick alot of winners, is interested in trying out a tout service(Stephen Leeb) I'm wary of any kind of tout and the one thing that sticks out in his sales pitches is his MEDIAN gains of 27%. Im worried his overall isnt that good and that this is some kind of martingale type thing going on where he racks of lots of small wins with occasional big losses.

So my question is, does anyone know anything about this guy(seems to be respected with TV and print appearances), and yes I already realize most answers will that all touts are dumb/study the market yourself, but Im trying to convince my father about this guy.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Question about Tout Service

I know nothing about the guy but it is possible to lose money and still have a 27% median. Median doesn't seem like the stat I would expect. The average would be of much greater use. As such it seems like the use of median is probably self-serving and that would make me leery.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:39 PM

Not to be too much of a dick but you basically just repeated this part of my post:

"I'm wary of any kind of tout and the one thing that sticks out in his sales pitches is his MEDIAN gains of 27%. Im worried his overall isnt that good and that this is some kind of martingale type thing going on where he racks of lots of small wins with occasional big losses."
Old 11-02-2007, 05:29 PM

Is that the penny stock thing? I think I tried that in the 70's and the main problem was that I could never get the price he reccoed at.