Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 05:45 AM

Default This is REALLY bad, right?

I'm still learning what this no limit hold em thing is all about. If you guys could help me out a little bit, I would greatly appreciate it.

Is this a good spot for this? Villian is 25/16/16, we haven't been involved in any significant pots together, so I don't have much of a read other than his stats. The size of his flop bet convinced me he was continuing timidly with QQ or KK precisely, and I thought I could move him off either of those with a medium-ish sized raise. By all means, flame away...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $20 BB (6 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

CO ($1970)
Button ($2260)
SB ($5594)
BB ($370)
UTG ($4955.25)
Hero ($2364)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J, J.
[color=#666666]1 fold</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises to $80</font>, [color=#666666]2 folds</font>, [color=#CC3333]SB raises to $255</font>, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>, Hero calls $175.

Flop: ($530) 2, 4, A [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]SB bets $325</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises to $1000</font>...
Old 11-18-2007, 05:51 AM

Default Re: This is REALLY bad, right?

if i really didn't believe he had an A i'd way rather, given the board texture, just call the flop and reevaluate turn than do this
Old 11-18-2007, 05:54 AM

it just looks counterproductive with such a vast part of your range when speaking strictly in terms of value

sets you are probably right to call on this flop, as you are with about any ace.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:15 AM

a call accomplishes the same thing imo, only you don't lose your whole stack if he has an ace. that being said, an ace is a big part of his range here.... I prob sigh and muck flop
Old 11-18-2007, 08:19 AM

I prefer to call the flop and see what he does on the turn. If the turn is blank and he checks you can try to take the pot there. I donīt like the rr on flop because I dont think he will fold KK and of course not AK or AQ either.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:56 AM

Old 11-18-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still learning what this no limit hold em thing is all about.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2k tables are a good place to start learning. 5k tables are obv better cuz they respect your raises more.

[ QUOTE ]
The size of his flop bet convinced me he was continuing timidly with QQ or KK precisely

[/ QUOTE ]

With such a dry flop, a lot of people bet smaller to avoid scaring people away with their AQ+/AA with the deck somewhat crippled and hard to extract money if they bet large.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still learning what this no limit hold em thing is all about.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2k tables are a good place to start learning. 5k tables are obv better cuz they respect your raises more.

[ QUOTE ]
The size of his flop bet convinced me he was continuing timidly with QQ or KK precisely

[/ QUOTE ]

With such a dry flop, a lot of people bet smaller to avoid scaring people away with their AQ+/AA with the deck somewhat crippled and hard to extract money if they bet large.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey guys, thanks in general for the advice. Looking at this the morning afterwards and I definitely think it's a spew of sorts on my behalf.

As for the reason I was sitting at this particular 2000 NL table... I had the opportunity to sit directly to the left of a player whom I know is very very bad, loose and aggressive specifically. This was just one of those weird hands where I got involved with one of the other good and tricky players at the table.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:22 PM

I think when players are playing a scared KK or QQ on an A-high board, they do the exact opposite: they bet bigger than usual, with the thought of pushing the opponent of a weak ace in mind. Although this is not to good of an idea, many players tend to do so.

If ur very sure that he has KK or QQ though, just float him and take the pot away from him on the turn.