Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 03:32 PM

Default This whole forum is basically spam?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

I just removed a post of yours in which you used an affiliate link for aweber.com. Affiliate links are not allowed on 2+2, as they directly violate the following portion of 2+2's T&C:

Quote:
Posts made with the intent of the promotion of any goods or services, including other websites, will be deemed spam and will not be allowed.

Please don't post any affiliate links on 2+2 in the future.

Thank you,
Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

All of us, well okay most of us who got up off our ass are promoting or trying to promote some type of website in this forum. Interesting one affiliate link I posted got deleted.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:38 PM

Default Re: This whole forum is basically spam?

I agree that's kind of silly. Someone asked for reccs, and you gave one (affiliate link no withstanding). But are we here to promote or here to learn? I don't think this forum is the place to promote.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:39 PM

But by that reasoning he gave above our whole forum project post your website here thread should be deleted right?

Or Even your redirect link you gave...
Old 12-11-2006, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But by that reasoning he gave above our whole forum project post your website here thread should be deleted right?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think so. Are people using this forum to promote them or to learn how to build & promote them? I think there's a difference.

[ QUOTE ]
Or Even your redirect link you gave...

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, c'mon that was a joke. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2006, 04:59 PM

Well, they have to draw the line somewhere. I didn't mind the link, I was asking for advice, and even told you that I'd use it if I signed up for the service.

But, if it's okay to post affiliate links, what's to stop me from coming here everyday and making posts like "Try out this poker room!" and spamming the boards everyday. I think links to our sites should be allowed, but I understand why they don't want us to post affiliate links.

That being said, if I decide to sign up for that company, I'll PM you for the link Josh, I don't mind helping someone out, especially when it's sound advice and doesn't cost me anything.

-Scott
Old 12-11-2006, 05:03 PM

I guess the thing to do is just to PM people the link when someone asks for help and you have something like that? Just post to the thread and say if anyone needs it, you have a link for them.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:17 PM

Josh... fwiw, did you link to the site directly... or did you put your affiliate code in the link when linking to the site?

I'm not sure what criteria Ryan has been using, but imo, the difference between the two types of links is substantial...

Personally, I think a tremendous amount of leeway has been given in this forum... don't abuse it!
Old 12-11-2006, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think a tremendous amount of leeway has been given in this forum... don't abuse it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone has intentionally abused the forum. This forum is just a little different than other 2+2 forums because of its topic and people aren't sure exactly where the lines are being drawn, especially people that also frequent forums elsewhere that cover this topic. I'm sure it'll become clearer as we go along.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:12 PM

The difference was that Josh posted an affiliate link, which not allowed on 2+2 under virtually any circumstance as far as I can tell. If it was a regular link, it probably would have been left alone.

I also think, that if the forum had more regular moderator or a sticky with rules, things could be much clearer as to what's allowed and what's not.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:46 PM

Your link had an affiliate code directly in it. That is a direct violation of 2+2 T & C. It stems from when poker affiliates spammed the hell out of this board.

The website project is COMPLETELY different. You using the affiliate link was just so you could make money. You could have just as easily (actually, more easily) used a non-affiliate link. On the other hand, the forum project people post their websites in order to receive feed back on the layout/content/etc. - NOT to promote their finished site and try to sell things to people on this board. If you want to help, next time just post the link without the affiliate code and it will be appreciated by all.

Also, PMs with affiliate links are also very much against 2+2 T&C.