Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Why is minbetting and limping in position -EV?

i understand it is good to vary your play style (limping or not, for example) based on opponent.

but what i'm trying to say is that it may also be good to vary how you play (limping or not, for example) based on YOU!
Old 11-18-2007, 06:43 PM

Raising preflop is basically just another bet. You are value betting your good hands against loose players and bluffing with weak hands against tight players to maximize preflop EV. Limping doesn't get any extra value from your hands, you're just giving your opponent 3 free cards. It's the same as checking behind a strong made hand on a draw heavy board when you should have value bet and made your opponent pay for that next card. Never mind that raising the button gives you the lead in the hand along with position. I see no point in limping unless one of you is short and the blinds are getting high or if your opponent likes to 3bet constantly. I don't think limping is necessarily -EV, it's just less +EV than raising.

As far as minbetting, I have no clue. I'll only do it as a donk bet lead against the fish who limp preflop. Minbetting gets little value for your made hands along with giving your opponent odds to draw. Seems like a waste of a bet to me but it could be useful against aggro players who like to bluffraise weakness.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:45 PM

I have a question: doesn't limping with weak hands and raising with strong (like some two of u suggested) give very valuable information to the villain?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question: doesn't limping with weak hands and raising with strong (like some two of u suggested) give very valuable information to the villain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if your bluffing with the right frequency according to game theory .
If you semi-bluff with the right frequency on a hand like 7-5 offsuit , then there is very little an opponent can do to exploit you . A player becomes indifferent to calling you down if he thinks you are bluffing and doesn't gain anything in expectation .