Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2006, 06:33 AM

Default How to Maximize profits from a set?

This is a clash between me and another player, both of us are by far the large stacks. We have about $2000 apiece. This is at a 2/4 table, and the opponent here is a solid, good player, TAG. This is on Titan poker, btw.

Hero has pocket 4s. There's a standard raise of $16 preflop, 3 callers including hero. Flop comes 4,2,2 rainbow. There's now $64 in the pot. First player bets $50, hero calls, fold, call. Turn comes a 7. Player bets $100, hero calls, next player folds. River comes an 8. The opponent checks. Hero thinks, then bets $255, the opponent instantly calls with pocket kings.

Some would say I successfully won a huge pot here, but I can't help but think I could've got more money out of him since he called my huge bet so quickly on the river. This player is normally very smart, and he saw me go all-in in a previous hand with top set, so I didn't want to go all in here and scare him off. Also, I've played with him a lot and he knows that usually I raise on the flop when I have a set, so this might've thrown him off when I smooth called. Should I have bet more on the turn or river? Does anyone have any suggestions for how to make the most money off a set?

Thanks in advance,
Cent
Old 04-02-2006, 07:44 AM

Default Re: How to Maximize profits from a set?

If you want to build a pot you will have to raise it somewhere. On the flop you have two people behind so yeah, you may want to call to draw them in, but you are gunning for the big stack so you might as well raise. Don't you think a call looks much stronger than a raise? Do you usually raise your set when the pot is multiway, there are not a lot of draws and people behind you must still act? With a raise I think he would sooner put you on a smaller overpair, trying to take the pot right there. Anyway if you don't raise flop, raise turn.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:33 AM

Raise, reraise, push.

On that board he will put you on a lower pp and never lay it down.

This belongs in small stakes.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:13 PM

Thanks for your responses, guys. I'm not saying you're wrong, you could be right. However, it's a little arrogant to say this belongs in small stakes. I personally would not risk $2000 on a high pocket pair in this situation, or any other, I'm too good of a player to do that. I had said that this player is a good player, and I usually do the minimum raise on the flop with a set, so if I pushed, it's possible he could've folded. IOW, you gotta play the player.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:22 PM

BTW No "good" player puts 500 BB in here with Kings over deuces.

You do need to raise in there I'd like it on the turn. He might pop you back, which you can call and try to 1/2-3/4 pot or reraise all-in if he's leaving you a 1-2 PSB in your stack on the next street.

Even if he folds it'll still be decent.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW No "good" player puts 500 BB in here with Kings over deuces.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

anyway, I think your flop call is fine, but you have to focus on getting the stack you want in the pot... that belongs to the bettor, not the people behind you. only prolem here is how strong the turn raise is with the other dude behind you still.... so overall your line may actually have gotten the most money (even though a bigger river bet would probably have been paid off).
Old 04-02-2006, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your responses, guys. I'm not saying you're wrong, you could be right. However, it's a little arrogant to say this belongs in small stakes. I personally would not risk $2000 on a high pocket pair in this situation, or any other, I'm too good of a player to do that . I had said that this player is a good player, and I usually do the minimum raise on the flop with a set , so if I pushed, it's possible he could've folded. IOW, you gotta play the player.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are contradictory statements. Good players don't minraise sets on the flop. Good players know that when someone minraises a dry flop that they have a set and fold their overpair.

I think flop call is fine as a changeup. How would you play 99 in this spot? I would repop turn in this case and bet river. Most decent players aren't going to be firing on all three streets with an overpair here and so calling on the turn doesn't mean he will fire river and you can raise here.

If you want to build this pot you need to make a raise on turn which might allow you to win more on river.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:32 PM

Cent,

I post in small stakes. It's not arrogance to say that a question that has been answered 1000 times before doesn't belong in MSNL. Why do you think the regulars here have no interest?

Post this in SSNL and you will get lots of good responses. The correct line here is to raise the flop 90%+ of the time. Minraising with a set sucks, btw. Calling and raising the turn is truly awful with these stacks IMO.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:39 PM

stop slowplaying you monkey
Old 04-02-2006, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise, reraise, push.

On that board he will put you on a lower pp and never lay it down.

This belongs in small stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, no.