Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Shannon Shorr thinking of quitting ...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the big issue I get from this post is how much live poker can suck in the sense that it takes so long to get to the long run that its easy to get disheartened along the way. Thank gods for the internet. Even though someone like ansky or daryn could have been stuck 4 months into the year they will almost never have a losing year whereas in live MTTs you can be the best player in the world and go over a year as a losing player easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we need to define what the long run is. I think the long run is from the time poker was invented to the time poker will cease to exist. Since no one will ever be able to figure out what the long run will be you can't say that people are winners "over the long run" because they aren't. It's absolutely impossible to be a winner over the long run because nobody will play "over the long run". Maybe that makes sense or maybe I need to smoke some kush.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can know if someone is a long term winner before actually seeing them reach the long term.

[/ QUOTE ]

How?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious???

If they play well or not...

[/ QUOTE ]

But if they are not around for the long term (which is the lifetime of poker, not the player) how can you know if they would be a long term winner. Also, in order to be a long term winner you would need to consider every hand of poker that has ever been played which is in the trillions (probably more but I'm not sure what comes after trillions). What hands a player plays in their lifetime is still only a short term sample and therefore you can't say that someone is a long term winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have to be leveling. you cant possibly be this stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

What part of this is stupid?
Old 11-15-2007, 04:47 PM

these emo threads annoy me. whenever someone writes something thoughtful, there's so much ball-riding that follows.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the big issue I get from this post is how much live poker can suck in the sense that it takes so long to get to the long run that its easy to get disheartened along the way. Thank gods for the internet. Even though someone like ansky or daryn could have been stuck 4 months into the year they will almost never have a losing year whereas in live MTTs you can be the best player in the world and go over a year as a losing player easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we need to define what the long run is. I think the long run is from the time poker was invented to the time poker will cease to exist. Since no one will ever be able to figure out what the long run will be you can't say that people are winners "over the long run" because they aren't. It's absolutely impossible to be a winner over the long run because nobody will play "over the long run". Maybe that makes sense or maybe I need to smoke some kush.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can know if someone is a long term winner before actually seeing them reach the long term.

[/ QUOTE ]

How?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious???

If they play well or not...

[/ QUOTE ]

But if they are not around for the long term (which is the lifetime of poker, not the player) how can you know if they would be a long term winner. Also, in order to be a long term winner you would need to consider every hand of poker that has ever been played which is in the trillions (probably more but I'm not sure what comes after trillions). What hands a player plays in their lifetime is still only a short term sample and therefore you can't say that someone is a long term winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-15-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simulation graph a long run winner or it doesn't happen. I've only seen one graph thats over a million hands and he was down money.

im quitting too, really hate the poker lifestyle .. also ansky i disagree, just cuz someone plays well doesnt mean they are/will be a longterm winner... so many 'good' players go busto and some of them never come back ...
Old 11-15-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if they are not around for the long term (which is the lifetime of poker, not the player) how can you know if they would be a long term winner. Also, in order to be a long term winner you would need to consider every hand of poker that has ever been played which is in the trillions (probably more but I'm not sure what comes after trillions). What hands a player plays in their lifetime is still only a short term sample and therefore you can't say that someone is a long term winner

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be the DUMBEST post I have ever read [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But if they are not around for the long term (which is the lifetime of poker, not the player) how can you know if they would be a long term winner. Also, in order to be a long term winner you would need to consider every hand of poker that has ever been played which is in the trillions (probably more but I'm not sure what comes after trillions). What hands a player plays in their lifetime is still only a short term sample and therefore you can't say that someone is a long term winner

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be one of DUMBEST posts I have ever read [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why that is stupid.

Stephen you were just mad earlier in the thread about unneeded flaming, so why would you then talk [censored] to me. Quit being a hypocrite.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker can suck the life out of you. The highs and lows are like peaks and valleys or some insane topographical map. I tell people, when they ask me about poker- I tell them dont start playing, dont get into it. For me it's been a huge preoccupation at best and a 24/7 obsession at worst. I've learned and matured through poker, and I've come to a point where I'm impervious to things in life that irritate other people because of the conditioning you have to go through and the mental abilities you have to acquire in order to be succesful in the game. One of the hardest things to do is to learn how to shelter those around you from what you go through as a player. Try telling your mom you lost ten grand in five hours, or try and explain to someone who doesn't play that even though you dropped twenty five grand this month you're still a winning player. It's hard to find a balance between honesty and protection, because believe me, you need to protect the people that care about you from agonizing over how they perceive your occupation or hobby.

Most of the people who post on twoplustwo and criticize others as their main reason to post- they're either teenagers who dont have a clue, failed poker players with intense resentment and jealousy, or life-know-it-all's who have been succesful at poker over a ridiculously small sample size. The thing is, and I've said this before with this same disclaimer, you can't relate to what someone goes through who went to war unless you were there with them. I by no means am comparing the gravity of these situations, but i'm trying to lend to the idea by using an analogy- unless you've spent years in card rooms, playing hundreds of thousands of hands, and living through the trials and burdens of a full time poker player- you just cannot relate. If you play online four hours a week and go to Vegas or LA once a month for a weekend of poker, you cannot relate to those who are there everyday. If you're 19 years old and reading this from your dorm room that your parents paid for and have a gas card, meal ticket, and no car payment- you cannot relate to the guy who has none of those neccesities handed to him, the guy who makes his living from the felt each and everyday with nothing coming to fruition unless he himself makes it happen.

There's a million varieties of card players. I'm one of them, you're one of them, Shannon is one of them. I've never met him and most of you have never met me, so I can't comment with any expertise on the specifics in this thread, but I do know that there's a million arm chair quarterbacks in this world and an equal number of people who need a big [censored] slice of humble pie- especially around here. If you're not on the grind supporting yourself as a professional card player, try and STFU and listen more often than you speak, and understand that there's truth in every story and a person behind it who knows only his reality, his perception.

You know what they say, misery loves company. And poker has succeeded in making many of the posters on this board miserable, broke, and insanely jealous of someones good fortune who of course, in their eyes, was just some lucky donk who caught the cards at the right time.

-Tex

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW fantastic post, tex!
Old 11-15-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't learn my lesson and continued to play and had one more awful session playing HU criss-cross with a friend who was knowledgable abt Chinese and lost more of my online roll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard anybody around here talk about playing criss cross before. I used to play it back in the 80's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have to wear your pants backwards?