Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 10-31-2007, 05:44 PM

Default This river felt standard, but w/e

Hollywood park 15/30

Loose and mostly passive player limps UTG. I raise KQo in the SB, and this 300 year old asian guy who I have never won a hand against folds.

HU to flop of ATJ 2 spades.

I lead, and UTG thinks about it for a little while before calling. I'm not sure what this means except I don't think he has a flush draw, but I really can't figure out what else it means at all.

Turn is a 7 of spades. I have no spade. I lead. He calls quicker this time, but not super quick.

River is a K. I bet. He raises. Your action and thought process throughout the hand?

A note about the player: He is mostly passive, but I have seen him be aggressive in really weird and bad spots, so it's like he has a random switch in him or something. 9/10 he just checkcalls top pair no kicker vs PFR, then the tenth time he leads every street with bottom pair.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Re: This river felt standard, but w/e

I think you should call the river.

Flop is standard, his range is probably a pair + broadway draw (QT, KT, KJ, QJ), maybe some aces and flush draws.

Turn probably gave him a flush draw as well, most flushes would raise this turn, even from passive players so I don't expect to see a flush that often.

River probably has you chopping, kinda sucks, but I can't see 3-betting and I can't see folding, so call.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:55 PM

I would just call. He hesitated on the flop because he only had a gutshot, but on the turn he picked up a flush draw so that made it an easier call. I figure there's no way he would raise the river without a Queen, so call and expect to chop.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:59 PM

i'd just call here. you are chopping a lot and there is a non trivial amount of times he actually has a flush here that didn't raise the turn because he was waiting for a safe river card.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:05 PM

Seems like a no-brainer call and plan on chopping.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:41 PM

Call seems pretty standard. Raising is spewy and folding is out of the question. Although the more I think about it I have a hard time believing that he raises his one card straight here if he is that loose passive.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:02 PM

call and lose to a flush some, chop some, and win rarely
Old 10-31-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Call seems pretty standard. Raising is spewy and folding is out of the question. Although the more I think about it I have a hard time believing that he raises his one card straight here if he is that loose passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's not super loose passive. He's just mostly passive. I.E. he prefers to check and call with top pair in spots where he should be raising to either limit the field or because his hand has a good amount of value. He also doesn't valuebet enough and rarely bluffs. He's not totally braindead though.

I think he would def pop me with a Q even with the flush out there.

When I say someone is too passive, I just mean that they are significantly diverging from proper betting in many spots, not that they never ever bluff or that they never ever valuebet or valueraise. This guy is a gambler, so his main concern is winning pots, but he also isn't afraid to put in a bet or raise here and there.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:05 PM

basically, my read is that he almost never has a flush, but that doesn't matter. I have to figure out how often he has a flush vs how often he has something I can scoop vs.
Does anyone want to suggest a latter hand?
I mean, the probability he has a flush is very low given my read. If I could pull a Zach Morris moment and run over to another table to bet with bicycles_biatch that he doesn't have a flush, I think I could lay 30-1.

Basically, this guy is a very nontricky player, and isn't gonna think about it if he has a flush draw on the flop, and when he does have one, he is often raising the turn with it, so it's a pretty big parlay for him to actually have a flush
Old 11-01-2007, 04:24 PM

Your read sounds like he will never raise less than a straight, so I don't think 3-bet has any merit.