Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 10-29-2007, 05:12 PM

Default 75$ 6-handed mtt: too tricky for my own good?

Villian seems to have played very decent so far, very small sample though.
The flop was pretty dry so I decided to lead out, esp since CO had been limping way too many hands. When the button raises my std line on such a dry flop would be too fold.
However I have a hard time putting villian on any of the hand he represents.
I think that 99+ would reraise preflop to isolate against co, 55 is unlikely (although possible) as I hold one of the 5's. 22 is a serious threat, and fits his line pretty decent so far, although slowplaying on such a dry texture would prolly be the standardline.
Shoving - sexy or spewy?

Full Tilt Poker, NL Hold'em Tournament, 80/160 Blinds, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

UTG: 1,565
MP: 7,050
CO: 8,120
BTN: 5,330
SB: 9,950
Hero (BB): 8,310

Pre-Flop: (240) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
2 folds, CO calls 160, BTN calls 160, SB calls 80, Hero checks

Flop: (640) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets 350</font>, CO folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to 1,280</font>, SB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to 4,480</font>,
Old 10-29-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: 75$ 6-handed mtt: too tricky for my own good?

Meh. Read dependent, I guess, I don't like this play this deep and OOP. I just check and let it go. Making "sexy" moves this deep OOP in an unraised pot really sucks; I want to be in CONTROL when I make these plays. That means getting position, playing off an LP raise, raising off the button, something like that. I see your point about the texture being ridic. dry and you representing something that hit the hell out of it (like 95o or 92o), but you just have no idea where btn is save for basic flop texture analysis. That type of analysis is fine for small pots and what not, I don't like it for a 4-bet though.

Post results later, please, so I can remind myself not to do this. If you took it down, post it anyway, so I can remind myself not to do this but also question my testicular fortitude. I admire the creativity in this hand, btw.

Barry
PS: Reads on button may help, but...
Old 10-29-2007, 05:45 PM

spewy, I would prefer a c/c and reevaluate or if you're going to play it strong a c/r then a fold to any more pressure.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
spewy, I would prefer a c/c and reevaluate or if you're going to play it strong a c/r then a fold to any more pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate all comments, but IMO your line is even spewier.
First of all you give him a free card, and secondly you give him the opportunity to bluff you out of the hand. Thirdly, I can fold all out some better hands by pushing here (although that certainly isn't the reason why im doing it, and it will only work a very small % of the time).
Your line is imo much spewier, and prolly the worst of all (no pun intended at all)
Old 10-30-2007, 07:00 AM

Not crazy about it but it looks OK if you think he can raise / fold 98, T9, A9 or similar (or even air) here and will fold to a push a good % of the time.

You're obv repping 2 pair so it really depends on your reads on him and how he views you / how you have been playing so far.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:01 AM

Why can't he have A9/K9? I don't think 88 is out of the question either.

And what do you have? I can't really see what your story is here? 95? Do you lead with a set? Most people don't, rightly or wrongly. What does he think of you?

I think that's the problem. You either have the hand you have or one like it or you have 95. Every time I try to sell an exact hand, it seems to me that villain just doesn't believe me.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 AM

First off, making this kind of play without a really good read is spewy IMO. If you got Villain to fold in this particular situation, I believe you were lucky, cause most Villains wouldn't fold top pair after putting nearly 25% of their stack in the middle. Second, I like this play a lot more if both of you were like 100BBs deep and your opponent actually would have to risk a big stack to continue.

I've tried these plays before and most of the time I end up getting called. The few times I got Villain to lay down is probably just due to the fact that I was lucky to have made a bad move against the right player. You are more than 50BBs deep and still able to make some post-flop moves, why risk that ability on a bluff against a Villain on whom you have vague reads?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, making this kind of play without a really good read is spewy IMO. If you got Villain to fold in this particular situation, I believe you were lucky, cause most Villains wouldn't fold top pair after putting nearly 25% of their stack in the middle. Second, I like this play a lot more if both of you were like 100BBs deep and your opponent actually would have to risk a big stack to continue.

I've tried these plays before and most of the time I end up getting called. The few times I got Villain to lay down is probably just due to the fact that I was lucky to have made a bad move against the right player. You are more than 50BBs deep and still able to make some post-flop moves, why risk that ability on a bluff against a Villain on whom you have vague reads?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It's not like the play in a vacuum is bad. It's just that MTTs are post flop play hell and you really have to be very, very precise early. If you made this play LATER in the tournament, btw, I wouldn't mind it as much.

Barry