Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 04:21 AM

Default Which one video game are you best at?

The SNES thread where one guy was talking about Griffey Jr. baseball got me thinking about this....

For me its gotta be Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES. I honestly would play anyone in the world for any amount of money that I could afford to lose. Its the sequel to the original Tecmo Bowl, and is the most popular of the series. Most everyone grew u playing it as kids.

In college, me and my buddy would do this: Draft all 28 teams. Then play games using the teams we had drafted. You lose a game with one of your teams, that team is eliminated. Play until one guy has no teams left. Additional rules: No nose tackle dive, no changing playbooks(keeps every team somewhat original and requires more skill to master all plays), take turns who picks first which team they are using.

Took around 6 hours to play a tournament. We probably did 3-4 per week for a solid two years(yeah I know I'm a big dork, but thats what college is for, right?), and after all that I'm pretty convinced that I'm the best in the world and hes the second best....although I'd love to meet someone who can give me a good challenge.

Anyway, post similar stories. What game do you feel like you are the best at and why? Or just talk about TSB some more...
Old 07-21-2006, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Which one video game are you best at?

TSB is a sweet game - a friend of mine and I played it a ton my senior year of college (this is 2005, btw), but he finally gave up since I was better. It's hard to know how good you can get at that game since so much of the play is dumb luck and the 10 computer players, but check out this disgusting link about Tecmo Super Bowl , I'm not so sure you'll be convinced you're the best.

OMG - use original playbooks? Why wouldn't you just draft so that the Oilers and Falcons had the best players? The Vikings, Chargers, Broncos, and Giants are damn near useless under that set-up.

My brother and I got sickeningly good at NHL95 for the computer - me more so than him, since I was handicapped by playing with the mouse. I also used to re-arrange the rosters, albeit randomly - I'm sad to report that winning a Stanley Cup Game 7 in overtime while 2 men shorthanded is still a highlight in my life. We haven't played in two years because it's hard to find compatible software for a decade-old game, but we may play on Saturday - I'm far too excited.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:27 AM

if i was the raiders i dont see how u could beat me. is there really a way to stop the bo jackson sweeps?
Old 07-21-2006, 04:28 AM

Playing on the internet is the only way to really know you're the best at anything, and by the time internet gaming became big I was already too old to worry about that kind of stuff [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I always thought I was the greatest Perfect Dark player in the world. I played it pretty much nonstop from the release date, and could destroy any number of the darksims and anyone in the neighborhood without breaking a sweat. I'm fairly certain someone on this forum could have demolished me back then though.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if i was the raiders i dont see how u could beat me. is there really a way to stop the bo jackson sweeps?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I love about TSB- everyone remembers playing it as a kid, and everyone swears that they're soooooo good with one team or something to that extent. Trust me, my friend and I know every playbook and every team inside and out, and no one team is unbeatable(yet alone the Raiders, who aren't close to the best team imho).

Edited to add: IMO if there was one team that was close to "unstoppable' at times, it would be the Oilers with their passing attack. You can play them perfectly and they'll still catch everything at times. But they have an average defense, so you can still beat them if you play well.

Also, I think that the Bears rushing attack is harder to stop than the Raiders.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:32 AM

NBA Jam for SNES. The Hawks are the [censored].
Old 07-21-2006, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

OMG - use original playbooks? Why wouldn't you just draft so that the Oilers and Falcons had the best players? The Vikings, Chargers, Broncos, and Giants are damn near useless under that set-up.

[/ QUOTE ]
A few teams offenses do become very hard to run using their playbooks against an intelligent human. I don't think the Giants fit in that group though. Clearly the teams that are affected by this don't get drafted very highly.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TSB is a sweet game - a friend of mine and I played it a ton my senior year of college (this is 2005, btw), but he finally gave up since I was better. It's hard to know how good you can get at that game since so much of the play is dumb luck and the 10 computer players, but check out this disgusting link about Tecmo Super Bowl , I'm not so sure you'll be convinced you're the best.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've seen quite a few guides. I don't think theres anything in that one that can't be found at www.tecmosuperbowl.com.

I know its hard to quantify how good someone is over a message board, but two impressive things I've done against the computer:

-Gone 16-0 and won the SB with all of the horrible teams
-Gone 16-0 and won the SB without giving up a single yard to my opponents(note: to be completely honest, I reset the game I think 4 or 5 times in order to accomplish this. I'm sure that if I did season after season of trying I could eventually do it without resetting, but I have no desire to spend that much time)

But even so, playing against the computer really is totally different than playing against a live human, which is 10x more fun imo.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:38 AM

The Giants have - a draw play, a rollout play action, and a flea flicker. That leaves them with 5 viable plays with calling one of these others *sometimes* to switch it up, but all are easily stoppable once recognized. The draw play is right out, but I suppose the flea-flicker is usable on occasion.

And yes, Bo Jackson is not unstoppable unless he is in EXCELLENT.

The Bills have a very good beginning playbook, as do the Eagles IIRC. This is still nuts - oh wait, do you just 'draft' the teams as in select the full rosters as is or did you use some sort of modifying program to do an actual 'draft' where you could pick individual players and put them on different teams?

EDIT - yea, my friend and I had been playing a lot against the computer early in the semester, but finally decided to get GamePads to play HU - 10 times more fun. Wow, 16-0 and Super Bowl with everyone is pretty remarkable - late in the season the computer begins to cheat. I assume you were using the nose tackle dive, though?
Old 07-21-2006, 04:39 AM

I got 4th in a large national tekken 3 tournament in 1996!