Default Re: Forget NFL network.. ARIZONA ST @ USC

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
even though college system has a good track record i'm not sure how you can argue playoff wouldn't be better.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you bring that up because he has shown an inclination towards that position?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
damaniac- I mostly agree, except that the NCAAF system produces the best team as the champion way more often than any other system

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

USC is on the phone. They want their diploma back.

[/ QUOTE ]
i must still be drunk. i have no idea what you're saying

[/ QUOTE ]

Post season tournaments crown champions, not act as guarantor of rewarding the best team.

But, AND THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART: asserting that the NCAA's system is better at celebrating the best team than the post season tournaments of other sports is not an argument the NCAA's system is "better" than a playoff at crowning a champion or that the NCAA works better than a playoff might in every instance at determining the best team. I don't know that from that quoted post that damaniac prefers the current system at all-- I'd guess he doesn't.

The second problem is that your cause celebre for argument has evolved/emerged late in an ongoing argument... but that's another kettle of fish.

[/ QUOTE ]
not sure i agree. nfl regular season is much better than ncaa at determining best team b/c ncaa has too much conference play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether you agree or disagree and why about the best method for determining the best team is a non-sequitor*. Start there. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure you are the one who brought a discussion of NCAA playoffs into this conversation-- and not as a response to those arguing against one.

* Although it might make for a more interesting conversation.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure you are the one who brought a discussion of NCAA playoffs into this conversation-- and not as a response to those arguing against one.

[/ QUOTE ]
go back and check if you don't believe me
Old 11-23-2007, 08:03 PM

Avoiding the playoff drama:

One loss and USC plays for the national title this year...they don't deserve it, plain and simple. This win changes nothing, they don't deserve to have a "shot."
Old 11-23-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Err, didn't they LOSE TO STANFORD? They had "a shot". They lost, twice. Why do they deserve another shot?

[/ QUOTE ]

In any other season I'd agree. But do you really think there is a better team the USC right now? And it wasn't just because Booty threw 4 picks with a broken finger, this team was gutted with injuries most of the year and now its healthy. They are going to kill OSU worse than Florida did.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In any other season I'd agree. But do you really think there is a better team the USC right now? And it wasn't just because Booty threw 4 picks with a broken finger, this team was gutted with injuries most of the year and now its healthy. They are going to kill OSU worse than Florida did.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think just because they beat ASU by 20 points that erases two losses and should put them over West Virgina, KU, Missouri, Ohio State, etc.? I'm glad you don't have a vote. You earn your way to the national title game by playing the regular season well in college, not just the last game of the year. As I've already said, just ONE loss and they would probably be playing in the National Title game. What makes them so much more deserving than any other 2 loss team like Georgia or VT? Putting a lot of emphasis on one win (even though it was an impressive one).