Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-17-2007, 11:29 AM

Default How much do the experts remember

[ QUOTE ]
Being able to remember the cards that have shown is essential for true expert play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, I realize that remembering every card isnt required for the low limits. However, I am curious of the methods that high stakes players use because I aspire to someday play there.

Specifically, do they always keep track of rank and suit of dead cards, or does it depend on their starting cards?

I have trouble keeping track of both, I can do one or the other. One thing I thought of doing was getting a deck of cards and start out remembering 5 cards that I show to myself for a split second, then 10 cards and so on. If anybody would like to share any other tricks, it would be greatly appreciated.
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: How much do the experts remember

You need to try to track all the cards because knowing what's dead could allow you to limit your opponent's range or better estimate his chances. For example, if your opponent's betting out with a 3-flush showing and you know that a lot of that suit is dead, it's less likely he has the flush. Whereas if the suit was very live, you could probably save your money.

One trick to remembering cards is that you only need to remember what's been folded. And for the time being, if you can remember either rank or suit pretty well, I'd go with remembering rank and just trying to get a good estimate of suit.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:50 PM

I just started playing stud games recently and I have a lot of trouble with this. The method that works for me for razz sucks for stud/8. For razz I just remember the cards in order, like AA2699KQ although usually I lop off anything above 9.

For stud this actually is not that helpful because I don't "parse" that very well. When I'm looking at a hand and trying to figure out how many pair outs, straight outs, etc, that I have, I have to think "I need a 7. How many 7s are there. OK. Now, I need a T also. How many Ts are there". Remembering suits isn't really a problem for me so far, but I really only take note on 3rd if I see more than 2 of a suit, and after that I look at the board.

Just remembering folded cards is nice but I need to get them all before the first guy starts folding and then I lose track of who's folded what. Can I forget that 7 because he's still in the hand or was it a different 7 who folded. I just hope it comes with time.

I try to remember, every hand, and I'd say my success rate is something like 20%. But I figure as long as I keep trying it'll get better. Half the time by 5th I've totally forgotten, or forgotten enough that it isn't even really helpful.

I do try to reinforce any cards that I need or that I suspect my opponent needs.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:29 PM

Cool, I'm thinking about having my dad whos a programmer help me write a program to practice card memory.

If I do, I'll be sharing it with y'all.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:48 PM

Ooh. It would be cool to have a program that flashes the upcards for like 10s, then asks you like a 5th st poker quiz given the action and hands up to that point.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:21 PM

Ya, I was thinking something along the lines of a program that can flash a configurable amount of card images. For example you could set it to show you 10 cards, 1 at a time in 1 second intervals and then you have to pick which cards they were from a display of all 52 cards and you get scored on how many you get right. Or, you could set it to show you bundles of cards in 5 second intervals, etc.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:49 PM

First look at your hand and see if it's even worth playing, check suits, and make any observations about certain cards that may affect your hand or cards that are dead.

however, i usually don't even do that because its hard if your playing multiple tables and given the busto stakes i'm playing right now its not necessary to win
Old 11-17-2007, 07:51 PM

BTW, Rusty, what's with the blue hotdog lol.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:51 PM

The great chess master Reti published a chess book which had the chessboard set up in its initial position on its front cover. The legend underneath it read: a difficult position.

On being asked how many moves ahead he calculated, he replied: one.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:54 PM

It's a photograph I took a long time ago, in kind of a weird series. It's kind of been my... emblem.

http://www.rustybrooks.com/Photos/DB...ge1&id=210