Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2006, 10:52 PM

Default Deep in tourney, do I take on another big stack??

Hi all,

Titan 25k guaranteed this morning. 13 players remaining. Average stack 36k. I am chip leader with 74k.

Already in the money, approx payouts from here as follows:
11-13th - 250
10th - 375
9th - 500
8th - 750
7th - 1000
6th - 1250
5th- 1700
4th - 2000
3rd - 2500
2nd - 4800
1st - 7000

For a while prior I had been pushing the table around a little, picking up the blinds without having to show down a hand.

Blinds are 1200/2400 I'm on the button (6 handed) and find 8c9c. 3 folds to me and I raise to 8000. Small blind folds and big blind (who had been playing very similar style to mine - although pushing often post-flop - and has 63k and third in chips) calls.

Flop : Qh 9c 4d

Opponent bets out 10000 and I call. (First question, Do I call here, fold or raise).

Turn: 8s

Opponent pushes all-in.

What is my play here.

I figure if i call and win I have over a quarter of all chips and can probably coast to the final few at bare minimum. If I call and lose I am in trouble with 11k and 3600 in blinds coming soon.
If i fold. I still have in excess of the average chip stack with a great shot at final table.

Views on this would be great.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Deep in tourney, do I take on another big stack??

Heh, can't say I didn't blow it in a similar way on the start of my last thread, so don't let me get you feeling too bad, but if you hold the 9 of clubs, then how is it the 9 of clubs appears on the flop?
Old 12-11-2006, 12:09 AM

sorry...i am an idiot. that should read 9s
Old 12-11-2006, 04:05 AM

I would definitely fold the flop even though your opponent probably has a pretty wide range here. There is no flush draw out so your opponent could reasonably have you beat pretty badly with a queen, set, or a better 9, you could be flipping against JT, or he could be bluffing with total air. I think a call sucks because you are folding like 90% of all turn cards and he is really likely to fire again with just about everything including his bluffs. Although you don't want to get pushed around you are not really deep enough to raise/fold and I would rather not turn my hand into a total bluff by pushing or raise/calling.

I think the turn card has you stuck, you just sucked out on a huge part of his range even though JT just got there and you are still behind a set - call the turn
Old 12-11-2006, 11:05 PM

thanks for the input.

I agree, the flop call absolutely sucks. I had to let it go there. Very minimal number of cards that could possibly give me any real confidence on the turn.

Usually I would raise this flop to take control, but with 28k in pot already any raise here would commit my opponent leaving me no real FE. I let this go next tme and look for a better spot.