Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Help me quit

Hi,

I'm so sick of poker and I want to quit and move my life forward in other ways, but I just lost 20% of my bankroll (20K or so), and I can't stop being bothered by it. It just nags the hell out of me all day long. But I never want to grind again. Yes, I made money, but poker just eliminates all other life for me, and has limited my successes in other areas (family, creative pursuits, career, school).

Please help convince me that it's just money. Thanks,

AG
Old 09-29-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Help me quit

You do not have a bankroll any more. Just winnings. 80k worth. Or 16k worth. Which may help with the other stuff.
Or stake someone to win some back if it bothers you that much. Nice to have that choice. Be glad you don't HAVE to grind. Or go grind it back and THEN quit.
The world is your lobster. Enumerate your options and pick one.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:37 AM

I doubt that you'll be able to quit.

So, instead, try to find a balance. Play less. Maybe at lower stakes. Or play MTTs only for while on weekends. Or play live only.

If you want to quit cold turkey, then cash out and close all of your accounts. Close your epassporte (or whatever) bank accounts that transfer money. Close your direct deposit links. Uninstall the poker software. Uninstall pokertracker and your HUD. Set up a filter for your e-mail to auto-delete anything with "poker" in the title or body. If any of that is on your computer, then you won't quit.

And even if you do all that, play a little live. You will only be able to play a few times a week. It will be less profitable, but you will keep your skills up and win a little if you play 5/10 or something.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:46 PM

20k flip ldo
Old 09-30-2007, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

I'm so sick of poker and I want to quit and move my life forward in other ways, but I just lost 20% of my bankroll (20K or so), and I can't stop being bothered by it. It just nags the hell out of me all day long. But I never want to grind again. Yes, I made money, but poker just eliminates all other life for me, and has limited my successes in other areas (family, creative pursuits, career, school).

Please help convince me that it's just money. Thanks,

AG

[/ QUOTE ]

Move forward and there will be less time for poker. You can't simply quit poker for some theoretical future. Immerse yourself in things other than poker, be it work, college, hooking up with chicks until it falls off. You just won't have time to play or worry about 20k.

Also, fwiw I've been lucky enough to make a lot of poker playing friends since I started. I don't know any ex-poker players.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:47 AM

Chase your losses. You just blew 20k of your hard earned. I'd be feeling pretty sick about it if I was you. You need to get back on that horse.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chase your losses. You just blew 20k of your hard earned. I'd be feeling pretty sick about it if I was you. You need to get back on that horse.

[/ QUOTE ]

not helpful
Old 09-30-2007, 05:20 PM

It is really not that hard to quit playing poker. In fact, I have done it several times.

Cheers
Old 09-30-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is really not that hard to quit playing poker. In fact, I have done it several times.

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

wacawacawaaca
Old 09-30-2007, 08:16 PM

An Actual God should not be consulting mere humans when attempting to determine the path of righteousness.