Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 11-11-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Stars 50K Guaranteed - The Dreaded Min Raise

Been playing with UTG+1 for a while. He's been very active limping like 50% of the hands and calling every reraise. This is his 1st raise of the tournament. How should I interpret it and what do I want to do here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG (t4230)
UTG+1 (t5555)
MP1 (t6745)
MP2 (t2185)
MP3 (t9763)
CO (t2875)
Hero (t13560)
SB (t4470)
BB (t6775)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Stars 50K Guaranteed - The Dreaded Min Raise

Just assign him a raise - if you think this limper has a tight raising range from EP I would use something like this:

TT+, AQ+

but usually these loose limpers open much wider, maybe something like this

66+, AJ+, KQ

So as this is his first raise, and you don't have much of a read I would suggest flat calling, as you are in position and reorientate on the flop (get it in on any non A/K flop for example).
Old 11-11-2007, 05:15 PM

I think it's a bit too early to assign him a hand just yet. Especially that it's only 100/200 (pretty early in the tourney).

Just play the hand as you would assuming he limped. Raise to 1000 or so. You've got plenty of chips, which means you'll have to play postflop. If he shoves for 4200, you can fold safely (to be honest, minraise-reraising is bizzare and won't happen that often but he's probably got best).

You're mostly looking at suited connectors and baby pairs, imho.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:44 PM

First of all, ask yourself what you want to accomplish with your action. If you raise - what do you aim at? With JJ you hardly have a value bet against his range (you may actually be flipping). OP said that Villain called every raise before. So your fold equity should be very small as well. So donīt get fancy. Just call and reevaluate the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
You're mostly looking at suited connectors and baby pairs, imho.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you come to this assumption? If it was the first (!) hand Villain ever raised in this tourney his range should be much tighter ...
Old 11-11-2007, 08:33 PM

Raise to 1200 and fold to a shove if you think he is only doing this with AA and possible KK... I dont know why every1 wants to play this so scared though... you cant honestly tell me you think his entire range is only AA and possibly KK in this spot... If thats what he has this time then fine... get out of the way... but you should be ahead of his range here so make the standard raise to 1200 and re-evaluate... If you call you give up an extremly large amount of equity on your hand and allow your opponent to play perfectly regardless of his actual ahnd range here...
Old 11-11-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise to 1200 and fold to a shove if you think he is only doing this with AA and possible KK... I dont know why every1 wants to play this so scared though... you cant honestly tell me you think his entire range is only AA and possibly KK in this spot... If thats what he has this time then fine... get out of the way... but you should be ahead of his range here so make the standard raise to 1200 and re-evaluate... If you call you give up an extremly large amount of equity on your hand and allow your opponent to play perfectly regardless of his actual ahnd range here...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the best line for this hand. As said hes not shoving over the of your 3 bet unless kk or aa. Plus hes not going to flat call with aces or kings. This is the only way to get a decent grasp of his range imo.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:09 AM

I'd call. EP min raise is consistent with how a chronic limper/lagtard might play a big hand. Some players have taken to min-riasing from EP with sm PP's, but those are the ones that don't like calling raises behind them.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. 1st raise of the tournament, or 1st raise you've seen? You said you've played awhile, but not the entire way. In my experience, someone playing 50% of hands isn't min-raising only monsters. They're min-raising hands like 55, or KJ. Take the standard line, re-raise to 1-1.4K, fold to a shove, and play the flop accordingly if called.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They're min-raising hands like 55, or KJ. Take the standard line, re-raise to 1-1.4K, fold to a shove, and play the flop accordingly if called.

[/ QUOTE ]

The prob is that chronic limpers don't raise these types of hands, that's why they are chronic limpers. If he was a LA, instead of LP, then def RR here. 3-betting then folding to a 4-bet is the line that loses value/EV here, since it turns JJ into 27o.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:52 AM

I disagree slightly. We don't really know what kind of player this is. Is this a loose-aggressive passive, a loose-passive aggressive, loose-aggressive aggressive, or loose-passive, passive? See where I'm going with this? If OP has been playing a while with him, what are the reads postflop? And playing 50% and limp calling raises, imo, isn't very passive.