Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-01-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Pope blames atheism for all the worlds problems.

[ QUOTE ]
I dont see much to discuss here, the pope is an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty harsh. I can only imagine what you would call people who opine after reading an 8 paragraph news article of a 76 page text.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty harsh. I can only imagine what you would call people who opine after reading an 8 paragraph news article of a 76 page text.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or perhaps have heard a tinsy eeensy bit about this 'pope' entity at some time prior in their lives.

luckyme
Old 12-01-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The latest pope is setting the Catholic Church back a hundred years. I'd be embarrassed to have him as leader.

His denial of God given truths (the revelations of the natural world, the secular depths of ethics and morality) is particularly noticeable after John Paul II's wisdom in that area.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We assume it will be in the afterlife, where God is in direct control and man has no say anymore. But on earth, man has the free will to do what he wants within the confines of nature. To judge God on earth is foolishly premature.

[/ QUOTE ]

This from the guy who thinks most people are going to hell...

Uh, "within the confines of nature." Didn't God set up those confines? So why do "the confines of nature" actually result in incredible suffering (nature probably causes more suffering than man, or has historically)? Further, why do the confines of nature allow man great latitude in spreading awful pain, but limit his power to alleviate suffering?

You want to talk about man's sinful nature, but the dice are loaded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nature causes both pain and pleasure. I don't see how it is easier for man to spread awful pain than to alleviate the suffering he causes.

If an atheist is convinced that life on the whole is much more painful than pleasurable, I don't see why he would not commit suicide. It would be the reasonable thing to do.

It's this lack of conviction amongst atheists that fails to persuade most of humanity to their side.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We assume it will be in the afterlife, where God is in direct control and man has no say anymore. But on earth, man has the free will to do what he wants within the confines of nature. To judge God on earth is foolishly premature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Re: The "neo-atheist" thread...

Maybe it is time we stop "debating" this fantasyland nonsense and merely laugh that a 21st century human being from the most technologically advanced culture on the planet actually believes stuff like this. Or maybe we should cry, not sure which yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Technology does not make one happy.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This from the guy who thinks most people are going to hell...

Uh, "within the confines of nature." Didn't God set up those confines? So why do "the confines of nature" actually result in incredible suffering (nature probably causes more suffering than man, or has historically)? Further, why do the confines of nature allow man great latitude in spreading awful pain, but limit his power to alleviate suffering?

You want to talk about man's sinful nature, but the dice are loaded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nature causes both pain and pleasure. I don't see how it is easier for man to spread awful pain than to alleviate the suffering he causes.

If an atheist is convinced that life on the whole is much more painful than pleasurable, I don't see why he would not commit suicide. It would be the reasonable thing to do.

It's this lack of conviction amongst atheists that fails to persuade most of humanity to their side.

[/ QUOTE ]
So the only thing stopping you from suicide is your religon. Sucks but maybe explains why you cling to it so desperately.

chez
Old 12-01-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Re: The "neo-atheist" thread...

Maybe it is time we stop "debating" this fantasyland nonsense and merely laugh that a 21st century human being from the most technologically advanced culture on the planet actually believes stuff like this. Or maybe we should cry, not sure which yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Technology does not make one happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. However, believing in fairy tales does have that effect on children, or those who think like children.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the only thing stopping you from suicide is your religon. Sucks but maybe explains why you cling to it so desperately.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

From a long list of theist poster comments on here, it's also what keeps them from being sociopaths. Perhaps a psych test of some sort should be administered at puberty and the morbid states of mind get you admitted to a seminary for a year of therapeutic indoctrination.

luckyme
Old 12-01-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

In context of what was being discussed this is a non sequitur, and you know it.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! You're being awfully dumb. How can you criticize valen for one small post, when he has a huge posting history? Have you read all of his posts so you have a basis to talk about him?

How about this - when you read one full page of pure idiotic drivel, reading the other 75 pages is stupid. I have better things to do with my time than wade through irrelevant hateful nonsense, and I've seen more than enough of it from this pope to know what his words are worth.