Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-08-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Re: *OFFICIAL* Phillies NL EAST CHAMPS offseason thread!

Im not high on him, but a 4.50 era would be what I expect from him, and he will eat some big time innings. If he was on the phillies all of last year he would have won 15 games easy.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Phillies NL EAST CHAMPS offseason thread!

Ok, I've heard it many times that the Phillies will be increasing payroll this year, probably to around 100mil. With that in mind here are their current obligations for
next year:

Pat Burrell - 14 million
Brett Myers - 8.5 million
Adam Eaton - 7.635 million
Chase Utley - 7.5 million
Jimmy Rollins - 7 million
Jamie Moyer - 5.5 million
Tom Gordon - 5.5 million
Wes Helms - 2.15 million
Julio Mateo - 1.5 million
Brad Lidge - 6 million*
Ryan Howard - 6 million*
Ryan Madson - 2.5 million*
Jayson Werth - 2.5 million*

* Estimated arbitration salaries

Everyone else is under the reserve clause and only Hamels is likely to get much above the minimum. So that totals about 80 mil (including all the guys making minimum or slightly more). Leaving us 20 million to play with still.

I propose first resigning Romero ~4 mil (reports are a multiyear deal is close). I then make an offer to Hiroki Kuroda. Reports are he is seeking 44/4. Yes Phillies fans this means relegating Adam Eaton to being the long man (awww). Reports are the budget may go as high as 105 so it may still be possible to sign a FA OF, depending on the market of course. If we are unable to get Hiroki then a big time FA OF is a must, I'd personally go for Torii Hunter.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:11 AM

I dont know why, I do not want Romero back next year. He had a great year, I just dont think he could come close to doing it again. He has been a problem in every clubhouse hes ever been in, I dont know. Unfortunately the bullpen still needs a lot of help.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know why, I do not want Romero back next year. He had a great year, I just dont think he could come close to doing it again. He has been a problem in every clubhouse hes ever been in, I dont know. Unfortunately the bullpen still needs a lot of help.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never heard about the clubhouse issue, and apparently it wasn't a problem last year *shrug* I will agree that its not the end of the world if he doesn't come back.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:23 AM

hoyas,

Do you ever see the positive in anything?

Romero was, by far, our best reliever last year. If you don't want him back, who DO you want back?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:41 AM

Romero was EXTREMELY lucky last year, and would be a horrible signing at something like 4/16. 2/6 I'll take, but much more than that is a bad investment.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If we are unable to get Hiroki then a big time FA OF is a must, I'd personally go for Torii Hunter.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see why it's a must. I think Victorino and Werth are extremely capable of playing every day, and worth it for their salary. I think money would be better spent at 3B or for pitching (probably taking on salary via trade, since FA SPs are slim pickings).
Old 11-09-2007, 11:33 AM

Werth is better against lefties, so I'd like to pair him with someone like Geoff Jenkins. Fine with Vic in CF though.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I propose first resigning Romero ~4 mil (reports are a multiyear deal is close). I then make an offer to Hiroki Kuroda. Reports are he is seeking 44/4. Yes Phillies fans this means relegating Adam Eaton to being the long man (awww). Reports are the budget may go as high as 105 so it may still be possible to sign a FA OF, depending on the market of course. If we are unable to get Hiroki then a big time FA OF is a must, I'd personally go for Torii Hunter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, i'd be happy with that japanese pitcher, or that reliever (forget his name) but theres no WAY we get torii hunter. The guy already makes 10 mil a year and wants more. The guy is a perennial gold glover who can hit for decent power. Best bet I think is to sign rowand to about a 4/36-40 type contract. His agent said theres no need to break the bank, we just need to make a good offer.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, i'd be happy with that japanese pitcher, or that reliever (forget his name) but theres no WAY we get torii hunter. The guy already makes 10 mil a year and wants more. The guy is a perennial gold glover who can hit for decent power. Best bet I think is to sign rowand to about a 4/36-40 type contract. His agent said theres no need to break the bank, we just need to make a good offer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you read my analysis of how much cash we have to play with? We have about 20 mil to play with, this should be enough to get Hunter. Also I heard Rowand was looking for more like 50/4 (public comments to the contrary). Anyway, I agree Victorino/Werth are more than adequate if we manage to upgrade the pitching; hence I still maintain Hiruki should be our top goal.