Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 11:49 PM

Default Re: The \"disease\" of alcoholism.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alcoholism has a biological component. In that way it is a disease. Though it is one you can self-cure using will power, unlike diabetes for instance.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of diabetes? I was actually going to use diabetes as my counter-example, in case anyone disagreed with my previous point.

[/ QUOTE ]

The kind where nothing you do will make it go away. That is what I meant.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alcoholism has a biological component. In that way it is a disease. Though it is one you can self-cure using will power, unlike diabetes for instance.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of diabetes? I was actually going to use diabetes as my counter-example, in case anyone disagreed with my previous point.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you could certainly argue that a drastically modified lifestyle (including regularly checking your blood sugar and maintaining healthy insulin and glucose levels) would 'make the disease go away' for all intents and purposes. You could eliminate all elevated risk of long-term complications. Of course, you would still 'have the disease,' meaning your pancreatic islet cells would still not be producing their own insulin, but in that sense only.

And I think the same can be said of alcoholism. By making lifestyle changes (i.e. not drinking, 'exerting your will power,' or going to meetings) you can eliminate any increased risk of long-term health consequences. Of course, you still 'have the disease,' in that if you have a few drinks 5 years later you will almost certainly relapse.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you could certainly argue that a drastically modified lifestyle (including regularly checking your blood sugar and maintaining healthy insulin and glucose levels) would 'make the disease go away' for all intents and purposes. You could eliminate all elevated risk of long-term complications. Of course, you would still 'have the disease,' meaning your pancreatic islet cells would still not be producing their own insulin, but in that sense only.

And I think the same can be said of alcoholism. By making lifestyle changes (i.e. not drinking, 'exerting your will power,' or going to meetings) you can eliminate any increased risk of long-term health consequences. Of course, you still 'have the disease,' in that if you have a few drinks 5 years later you will almost certainly relapse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Diabetes was not the best example I could have used, anyway.

With diabetes, the patient has to take extraordinary measures outside the course of normal human behaviour. The alcoholic only has to not drink.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Diabetes was not the best example I could have used, anyway.

With diabetes, the patient has to take extraordinary measures outside the course of normal human behaviour. The alcoholic only has to not drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, it wasn't the best disease to illustrate your point, but it was a fantastic one to illustrate mine. No one would ever hesitate to consider type I diabetes a disease. And yet I've just shown you how, to your criteria at least, it is very similar to alcoholism. You could have chosen a disease that is less like alcoholism, but why?

As to your second point, I would bet that the lifetime diabetic finds their routine far less extraordinarily strenuous than the alcoholic finds 'simply not drinking.'
Old 02-10-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You could have chosen a disease that is less like alcoholism, but why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I'll have to think about that.

[ QUOTE ]
As to your second point, I would bet that the lifetime diabetic finds their routine far less extraordinarily strenuous than the alcoholic finds 'simply not drinking.'

[/ QUOTE ]

I still maintain there is an essential difference between a disease that interferes with critical functions like food intake and one that only involves voluntary activities like drinking.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You could have chosen a disease that is less like alcoholism, but why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I'll have to think about that.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still maintain there is an essential difference between a disease that interferes with critical functions like food intake and one that only involves voluntary activities like drinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of differences. If you want to consider them critical, thats your prerogative, but I think you'll have to make a better case than you have here. And can I ask why it is important that there be a critical difference?
Old 02-10-2007, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of differences. If you want to consider them critical, thats your prerogative, but I think you'll have to make a better case than you have here. And can I ask why it is important that there be a critical difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

The following seems reasonable:

Impairment of a vital function is required for a condition to be a disease. Drinking is not a vital function. Therefore, alcoholism is not a disease.