Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Not playing very often

Is it possible to play only a few sessions a week and not lose your edge?

I'm a student and have been able to play most days (still not anywhere near as many hands a lot of 2p2) But I haven't played in few weeks now due to exams and probably won't be able to play as much when I start working later this year. I'll be much more of a recreational player and I'm a bit concerned that I probably won't be crushing the games anymore due to the fact that I won't have the experience of playing everyday. Any thoughts?
Old 04-19-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Not playing very often

I'm going on 1 month + breaks quite often and the day I come back my game is still as good as the day I left...

Poker is like bike.. once you know how to play, you don't forget it
Old 04-19-2007, 02:38 PM

Don't know man, I usually feel a bit rusty after a month or so off. And someone could have learned how to ride the 400NL bike 2 years ago and come back now and get crushed. The games are much tougher.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:44 PM

You are "crushing" the games you play in because of the quality of your game, not the quantity. So if you play 2-4 times per week instead of every day, you dont lose any edge. The game doesnt change over night. If you talk about playing every 2 to 4 weeks once, then the answer is the typical poker answer: it depends - on how much you think about poker in the meantime.
If anything, people tend to play too much, not too little.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:41 PM

in my case, i think that taking breaks gives me time to reflect on the hands and all the i have learned. When I come back from my break I feel that I have become a more experienced player. When I feel too many days in a row, I grow weary and bored of poker and do not play my A game. When I take a break for 2 weeks, I feel excited to play poker again and play my best game.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:39 PM

I think there is a good time to reflect upon your games when you are having a break

I had a bit of a forced break (wasnt allowed to use my hard drive in the oldies computer), so used this time to really get stuck into some psych books and strat books.

Came back much more knoledgable.

I still feel a bit rusty if i have a break, but nothing much really
Old 04-26-2007, 03:11 PM

When I am put in circumstances where I can't play for a period of time ( going back tommorow after 3 weeks off )
I feel a little out of sync at the beginning but goes away quick enough, I believe it is more a feeling than anything truly detrimental to my game.

And on the other hand, after a break, I often find I am able to focus better and discover I was probably starting to play a bit too loose before the break because of the grind so actually, even though I "feel" out of sync I probably play better.

The only thing that bugs me is while i'm not able to play and i am doing my reading, hand discussing, etc. I can't get any reinforcement at the tables right away, besides that? It's not going to hurt you, relax.