Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Northwest Airlines bones employees?

My understanding is that mnay of NWA's employees took a significant paycut to keep NWA from going under. The way I heard it was the employees were to take this cut until NWA got out of bankruptcy.

Supposedly they just got out of bankruptcy and gave the CEO who was in charge when they went under a 26 million dollar bonus! Meanwhile the employees got nuffin.

If I'm wrong about any of this please correct it but if that is pretty much true NWA will never get another dollar from me.

What do you all think(not about me not flying with them but what it appears they did to their employees)?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Northwest Airlines bones employees?

You wouldn't screw over your employees for 26 million?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:37 PM

My dad retired as a captain from them. I remember he was really worried if he was even going to get anything pension wise etc...but i guess he's ok now though its still like 1/2 of what he should be getting.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:40 PM

Uh, thats business no?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:44 PM

If the employees don't like it, they are free to get another job. If the CEO didn't dig them out of bankruptcy anyway, they would have to do that anyway. How many people work for NWA? When you divide $26M by that, it doesn't go very far.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh, thats business no?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is business, but should it be? Should a company who asked all of it's employees take a huge pay cut then turn around and give huge paydays to overpaid CEO's? Obviously not. It just fly's in the face human decency and our corrupt government is in no place to do anything about it. I like money as much as the next guy but there is only so far I am willing to stretch my own personal morals to obtain said money. I could not take that money and live with myself. God I'm such a [censored] hippie. Can you tell I went to University of Oregon in Eugene and now live in Portland? I do drive a gas guzzling SUV so my hippieness only goes so far I guess.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:52 PM

I guess it is buisness. I'm 36 years old and I've seen some things that really suck in the buisness world. I guess I can't keep looking at life through rose colored glasses.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Uh, thats business no?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is business, but should it be? Should a company who asked all of it's employees take a huge pay cut then turn around and give huge paydays to overpaid CEO's? Obviously not. It just fly's in the face human decency and our corrupt government is in no place to do anything about it. I like money as much as the next guy but there is only so far I am willing to stretch my own personal morals to obtain said money. I could not take that money and live with myself. God I'm such a [censored] hippie. Can you tell I went to University of Oregon in Eugene and now live in Portland? I do drive a gas guzzling SUV so my hippieness only goes so far I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats commie talk. Corrupt govt? hahah...c'mon get real, there is nothing illegal here, nor should there be. Legislating morality is for commies. The only part I hate about the movie Wall Street, is the fact that Buddy was a rat.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:01 PM

Always look out for number one.

I worked for a fledgling startup for 2.5 years with no raises, and then they decided to reach breakeven by cutting 1/3 of the workforce and giving everyone else a 30-40% pay cut. We were all expected to sacrifice so the company could stay in business. I gave my notice that day.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:02 PM

Greed is good

but breaking the laws wasn't.