Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 11:20 PM

Default 50NL - Ugh! Smart LAG

I don't run into these guys very often, but when I do, I screw up big time. This guy is 55/45/3.5 through 60 hands. He has been raising/opening for 4 BB almost every hand. However, he seems to be playing smart. He c-bets 65% of the time and has only check-raised once. The main thing to do against these guys is value bet, right? Well, up to this hand, I hadn't played in a hand for 25 straight (no cards). I know I played this awful.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($17.05)
Hero ($40.80)
SB ($51.75)
BB ($136.75)
UTG (Villain) ($76.25)
MP ($15.65)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

This call is suspect. I don't normally call here, but a couple of factors led me to call. One, he has been raising 50% preflop. Two, I haven't had any cards. Three, I'm on the button. Four, the rest of the table except for the MP has been tight.

Flop: ($4.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2.

His range is huge and I don't mind seeing another card. I will fold to aggression on turn if I don't hit.

Turn: ($8.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, UTG calls $6.

He thought 20 seconds before calling my raise. Also, that is a weak turn bet by villain.

River: ($22.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $13.5</font>, Hero calls $13.50.

Final Pot: $49.75

Also, any advice on how to play these guys?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Re: 50NL - Ugh! Smart LAG

OK, if villain isn't retarded post flop you have to give up on the river. When he leads out after you raise the turn that shows strength. With his stats he might have spiked 2pair with something like K7s. Also could be a set. If you have been aggressive in the past he probably bet weak on the turn to induce a raise. It all depends on how smart he is. Also hes so loose you should be 3betting him a TON pf.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:00 AM

Raise the flop yo. No point in calling to fold to a 2nd barrel as he prob 2 barrels with most of his range
Old 11-07-2007, 12:07 AM

im pretty sure he indeed is a retard unless he had Kx here

pretty standard line you take though. IDK what your plan is after flop call. What are u gunna do on turn when you dont pair up?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:14 AM

To quote/paraphrase Pokey:

Good LAGs do not exist in uNL.

[ QUOTE ]
This call is suspect. I don't normally call here, but a couple of factors led me to call. One, he has been raising 50% preflop. Two, I haven't had any cards. Three, I'm on the button. Four, the rest of the table except for the MP has been tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

First mistake. Even 60/40 LAGtards can get dealt good hands. Don't call with easily dominated offsuit hands. Call with suited two gappers, 88-JJ, AQ, and unsuited connectors. Notice that I didn't mention suited connectors/one gappers and lower pairs? Here's why: We three bet LAGtards light when we have position. These guys rely on aggression to steal the blinds and and a loose preflop raising range to disguise when they have a big hand. This works fine when people either call or fold, but it goes to crap when they get repopped, especially when the 3-bettor has position on them after the flop. When you get 44 or 76s, repop that donkey! Either one of two things will happen. In the first case he demonstrates that he has at least some mental abililty and folds the random crap he raised with either on the flop or when you c-bet the flop (And oh yeah, we are c-betting that flop). In addition, after a couple or three times of this he is quite likely to straighten his act up every hand that you have position on him once he realizes that a raise with crap stands a good chance of being met with a 3-bet. Make sure you 3-bet your premiums (QQ+, AK) too.

[ QUOTE ]
His range is huge and I don't mind seeing another card. I will fold to aggression on turn if I don't hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

What implied odds are you getting to call with a 3 out draw??? If it doesn't hit, A2o kicks your ass. In addition, villain made a bet for less than half of the pot on a scary board. Unless this is a normal c-bet size for him, be a bit suspicious.

[ QUOTE ]
He thought 20 seconds before calling my raise. Also, that is a weak turn bet by villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

A villain who is sitting down and trying to play LAG is normally enamored with being tricksy. From any player who is likely to try and be tricky a really small bet is cause for worry, especially on the turn or river. Raising with your top pair is fine, but when villain calls that raise we need to realize that TPMK is probably toast. And that should tell you how to play the river.

As for tips on playing these guys, the key is to maintain your self control and accept that you can't stand a chance against these guys if you can't suck up some nasty huge variance. Don't change what hands you are playing from what position, but do change how you play them. OOP, play really tight and be willing to limp-reraise with your strong hands (KQs, AQ+, TT+) to make sure it is you and donkey heads up. 3-bet him light when you have position on him.

Don't bother with your marginal hands (TPWK, middle pair and worse, two lone overcards). Their not worth the trouble. When you have medium strength hands (TPGK, overpairs ) let him do the betting, and don't get involved in a big pot with these. Read PNL and use that as a guide in these situations.

What do we play big pots with here? Anything with nice equity. Two pair+ is pretty obvious, but also start playing draws really strong. Look to put him to all-in/fold decisions as early as possible. If you are OOP, check-raises (quite often all-in) are your friend. In position, you wan't to be rasing flops hard (nothing less than the amount in the pot plus twice the amount you have to call). On both the flop and turn check the pot size and the stack sizes to see if shoving your draw can be profitable.

If you do these things you will be viewed by Mr. LAGtard as some TAG who has decided he isn't going to take it anymore and is playing back recklessly. As long as you religiously make it a point not to let him get you in a big pot unless you have either a big hand or big equity, he should make far more mistakes trying to put you back in your place than you do putting him in his.