Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 08:31 PM

Default I don\'t know where the donk convention was, but ($10, 77 in MP1)

Hero (5,043), MP1
Villain (4,950), SB

By the way, I see this line about 20 times a day now:

Blinds 80/160

Folds to hero with 77 who makes it 400, folds to SB who calls.

Flop: 10 9 2r (pot: 960)

Villain checks, Hero bets 600, Villain reraises to 1200, Hero?
Old 10-07-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Re: I don\'t know where the donk convention was, but ($10, 77 in MP1)

Scream at the computer and then fold. I really hate the check/minraise, but it almost always has me beat. Seems like whenever I fire another and take the lead, I end up spewing off more chips than I should have because the donk ain't gonna fold his K9.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:38 PM

Bite my lip and fold. It's close.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:40 PM

It's just that this line is used ALL THE TIME. It's really the new donk play to throw position players off. I see this HU all the time, I see it in tourneys. It's call OOP, check, and then min raise. Now, what's great is that I haven't hit a goddamn thing against this play in 2 weeks. HOwever, in this spot, I was almost tempted to shove. Can I justify a shove against this kind of range? I dunno.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:46 PM

No, I think the shove is a tilt spew. Make a note on him and move on.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's just that this line is used ALL THE TIME. It's really the new donk play to throw position players off. I see this HU all the time, I see it in tourneys. It's call OOP, check, and then min raise. Now, what's great is that I haven't hit a goddamn thing against this play in 2 weeks. HOwever, in this spot, I was almost tempted to shove. Can I justify a shove against this kind of range? I dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be more tempted to shove in a $24 than in a $10. I think this is TP (or at least 2nd pair) quite a bit.

Edit: BTW Barry, I know this spot really blows, especially when it seems like it keep happening. I always tell myself a few things when this happens. 1) Sometimes when he pulls this crap I have a big hand (AA/KK), am shoving, and he pays me off. To use the term from the FTP guide, we have leveraged him in this spot. He is putting more chips in in an unsure situation. 2) You'd be surprised how rare someone is actually FOS here. I am almost always more frustrated that people keep flopping pairs on me than that they are mixing up their play well against me.

Sherman
Old 10-07-2007, 10:49 PM

"medium pocket pairs are the hardest hands to play in no limit holdem!"

because what do you do vince? fwiw, i agree that it seems like i see this a lot more lately and i have been folding when min-raised/just not c-betting here as much in the first place as a result (i will check and lead turn if it's checked behind or check/call lead/check-raise a paint turn). thoughts on that?
Old 10-08-2007, 03:50 AM

Tough spot...his range here is very wide IMO. He could have any number of made hands from TP/MP to a set. He could also have air or a PP < 77. Hands that i take out of his range here are QJ and 78, b/c i think they have to c/r more. There's no value in raising here and u don't really have enuf chips to call and see what he does on the turn.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Tough spot...his range here is very wide IMO. He could have any number of made hands from TP/MP to a set. He could also have air or a PP < 77. Hands that i take out of his range here are QJ and 78, b/c i think they have to c/r more. There's no value in raising here and u don't really have enuf chips to call and see what he does on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% untrue. This is not a tough spot. This is just Barry steaming b/c he got the ol' c/minraise. Also, Barry knows it's not a tough spot, and would similarly disagree with the above poster. This is never a shove and always a fold.
-Thread Killer.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

100% untrue. This is not a tough spot. This is just Barry steaming b/c he got the ol' c/minraise. Also, Barry knows it's not a tough spot, and would similarly disagree with the above poster. This is never a shove and always a fold.
-Thread Killer.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...ok....sorry for the response (that advocated folding in case u missed the subliminal suggestion.) I hope that Barry really did experince a catharis by posting this hand, and i hope that next time u would take the time read a post that you quote then dismiss as garbage.