Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Downswing Need Sanity Check from 2+2ers

It didn't play because you spewed post flop.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
until I tightened up and got my aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-04-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
until I tightened up and got my aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao
Old 10-04-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It didn't play because you spewed post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude kurto just gave you the laundry list of reasons why raising pf at 10nl doesn't work. why don't you believe him either?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:19 PM

I think Jerry is right (to a degree) and mjws00 makes some good points too. And of course I can see the value of what other people are saying too.
However its not so clear cut either way imo and therefore I'm somewhere in the middle.
Well I am a TAGfish 21/12 or something. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
You should primarily raise for value in the micros.
Raising for deception, image and balance are secondary considerations and sometimes even fall into being FPS.
Yes, it will be neccesary against good thinking players but these are in short supply at micros and in any case these are not the players you are making money from.
You are making your money from the passive calling station recreational players who have never heard of PT, Pahud, think nothing of stacking off OOP w TPGK in limped pots. They think nothing of your image, who is aggressive, who is not. They think about the value of their hand. Period.

In micros, due to calling stations, general passivity, lack of FE, it is more likely that the best hand wins the pot than in higher limits.
Therefore speculative hands are sometimes best played as cheaply as possible until they hit.
Having said all that, I can't agree with Jerry thinking a pfr of 3% is ok. I mean do you limp QQ or what?
You must be able to raise 10% of the time just for pure value. Get yourself to 28/8 (at least) Jerry and I'm sure you'll see an improvement.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:26 PM

lol loose passive poker is bad poker, you miss out on so much theoretical value by not playing tight and raising hands that are clearly ahead of your opponents ranges. who cares if they all call and you miss a lot, you also hit a lot and own them if you play decently at all postflop.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dude kurto just gave you the laundry list of reasons why raise pf at 10nl doesn't work. why don't you believe him either?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'm not saying it doesn't work. But you would have to adjust to players.

If players are calling too much, then raise larger amounts to compound their preflop mistakes.

Also, you may be appropriately raising preflop but not adjusting postflop.

If you raise and 4 people go to the flop with you, you have to adjust the value of your hand postflop.

I am saying that LPP can work. I am NOT saying that Tight aggressive play does not work.

Please note that I left it open to the possibility that your win raise is lower then it should be. I played $10 tables many eons ago and remember making 15bb/100. And I played like a nit.

You haven't demonstrated that TAG doesn't work because you haven't played it. (its not reflected in the stats you've posted) Nor have you demonstrated your post flop skills. If you correctly raise preflop but make a lot of mistakes postflop, you're going to lose.

Do I think one can win playing loose/passive preflop? Certainly. Does it maximize your potential? By no means...
Old 10-04-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dude kurto just gave you the laundry list of reasons why raise pf at 10nl doesn't work. why don't you believe him either?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'm not saying it doesn't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know you're not saying it doesn't work but you gave the reasons why it doesn't work
Old 10-04-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to be fair, he's logged over 200K hands and has been winning at a reasonable rate.

Could he have won more? Perhaps. But his style has been working for him and probably are more appropriate for THOSE tables then people give credit for.

A lot of the reason we raise is to (1) build a pot (2) isolate/narrow the field (3) disguise our hands (4) buy the button (5) steal blinds, etc.

When the table is littered with calling stations, reasons (2), (3), (4) & (5) all disappear.

Also- when players are more likely to make HUGE mistakes postflop for large amounts of money, the more correct it is to see more flops cheap.

I agree that this isn't the best advice for a new player. But to discount that a loose passive style can't be a winning strategy is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree and disagree- it is true that 2-5 disappear at these micro-limits because a pfr is not respected. But I also see a lot of donks raising 1BB and reraising the min- grow some balls. My 4-6BB raises narrow the field to 1-2 dudes and my cbets (72%) of the time usually are good. If not, I fire on the turn and take it down.

Jerry is a Loose Passive donk who only plays post flop with good hands- I'd extract a lot of money from him preflop by making him pay to see and run when his donkishass hits it hard.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:13 PM

Really it comes down to post flop play

Limping into a flop like Jerry just leads to too many hard decisions at every street with marginal hands. You don't get value for these hands because you don't know where you stand in relationship to other people- and you lose a lot of money here- from calling too much and from not getting value when you are ahead.

Limping like Jerry is really only profitable when you flop a monster and and can string someone along for their stack- but really how often does this happen. I played 600 hands last night (big deal for some of you but I was busy watching the RedSox spank the Angels) and won 5 big pots. These 5 big pots were 2/3s of my winnings for the night. The rest came from PFR and taking down a small pot with a cbet.

So I guess the point is that you can be successful like Jerry playing 28/3 and waiting for monster flops and be a 7BB/100hand success story

or

you can be aggressive preflop and be a 15-20BB/100 winner like me.

Join my table anytime Jerry (pm me for screen name)- I like passive players like you!