Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2006, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Recent Amarillo Slim news?

[ QUOTE ]
to be honest, if I was in Slim's spot, I'd just plead guilty to that same thing...4k fine + probation = whatever

Especially if you're old and don't need new jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because personal integrity and character are meaningless to you? Don't you find it disgusting to admit to molestation in the court of public opinion?

I'll risk the death penalty before i let somebody accuse me of rape/incest/pedophilia and get me to plead Not Guilty. Out of court settlement is different. This is actually agreeing to be convicted of the crime. Seriously, wtf?
Old 11-09-2006, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody who is 100% innocent would EVER plead guilty to molesting their grandaughter or anyone else fot that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying he didnt do it, but if I were faced with even a remote possibility of the rest of my life in prison or a plea and a $4,000 fine. Well, I could give a [censored] what people thought of me.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody who is 100% innocent would EVER plead guilty to molesting their grandaughter or anyone else fot that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying he didnt do it, but if I were faced with even a remote possibility of the rest of my life in prison or a plea and a $4,000 fine. Well, I could give a [censored] what people thought of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think that a $4000 fine plea agreement would equate to a life sentence if he didn't take the deal? People get larger fines for DUI's.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:53 AM

I have no idea what the deal was or what he was facing. I can't imagine you get off light after being found guilty of child molestation, and he isn't a young 'un.

The fine is weird. I guess the DA thought he was guilty but they didn't have a very strong case?
Old 11-09-2006, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
to be honest, if I was in Slim's spot, I'd just plead guilty to that same thing...4k fine + probation = whatever

[/ QUOTE ]

wow you can't be serious.

this is the dumbest thing i've read on 2+2 in the last week, and this is been a particularly dumb week.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:05 AM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I find that surprising, most people would fight that sort of charge with every dollar they have. I know I would. In Slim's case he has life time of achievement and it all ends being falsely known as a pedophile? That's not logical.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, nobody has ever been tortured into giving confessions where they are 100% innocent before!

Also, with people saying stuff like 4k less than DUI; why do you assume he's some horrible child rapist then? It's pretty clear that the whole case was b.s. IMO if they settled for that small a fine. People shouldn't think less of him for having this charge.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:33 AM

I thought he admitted to spanking her only? Doesn't seem too innapropriate. I mean, unless he was dressed in leather and used a ballgag and paddle.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, with people saying stuff like 4k less than DUI; why do you assume he's some horrible child rapist then? It's pretty clear that the whole case was b.s. IMO if they settled for that small a fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cases like that get plead out all the time for low sentences/fines/probation because of a desire to avoid traumatizing a child further, and a decision that a guilty plea with a minimal punishment is better than taking the risk of a jury buying a molestor's BS and not taking the child's word and his going scott free.

And yeah false charges are made sometimes and obviously this case involved groping or something instead of actual rape, but when everyone in the family including his wife, who didn't need to have this happen to take 1/2+ of all he had anyway (slim said in the book Aces & Kings that she knew where all the lockboxes and dough was) doesn't believe him, then it is more likely he is guilty, especially when he so pleads.

[ QUOTE ]
People shouldn't think less of him for having this charge.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't think less of someone for a conviction of molesting a child, in absence of strong evidence the conviction was based on false allegations, then you simply have zero ethical/moral standards as there isn't much left worse than that for someone to have committed.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:47 AM

My grandpa spanked me before. I didn't file suit. I think it's just his family is crazy.