Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: fish commenting on my tight play

Just say you're playing on one bullet, maybe some idiot will try to bluff you in a big pot.

It doesn't really matter what you say though, they're not going to start playing like you or adjust to your play very much because they're fish.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since this is the psych forum, let me first start out with the 'be realistic about your own play' statement before the strategy analysis... Is this 1/2 nl?

[ QUOTE ]
Great example at the game tonight. I folded 10-15 hands being that I was just getting crap cards. Finally I get pocket queens, and I raise to $7. Guess what? 7 callers.
Flop comes 2d-3h-3d. I raise to $5, villain (LAG)raises to $10, next player (LAG) to his left takes it to $15. Table folds to me, I call. Turn comes a 6c. I raise $5(<u>all in</u>)

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I reading correctly that you had 7+15+5= $27 at the start of this hand? You got 7 callers on a 3.5x raise ... what position were you in?

8x$7= $56 in the pot pre-flop. You have $20 left. (with QQ and that flop, I PUSH)

But you bet less than 10% of the pot value on that flop? You probably should have pushed preflop and hoped for less than 3 callers (loose table, right?). Sounds like a tourney move maybe, but when you are this short, the same concepts apply...

Did you buy in full?

[/ QUOTE ]

I sincerely hope this was limit otherwise LOL.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just say you're playing on one bullet, maybe some idiot will try to bluff you in a big pot.

It doesn't really matter what you say though, they're not going to start playing like you or adjust to your play very much <u>because they're fish</u>.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they?
If you give the "fish" 10-1 on their money like this, it's a serious problem.
And to start out the hand with 13.5 bb without an adjustment to your betting indicates there may be another problem.

Welcome to the psych forum. Time to analyze yourself a bit more maybe?

-
'skull
Old 11-26-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This always happens to me in my local $3-6 and $4-8 bingo games. I just loudly complain about being "card dead", and that usually takes care of it. "If I see another 9-2..."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my line [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Unfortunately recently it's been true.. 9-2's and J-7's are the bane of my live poker experience.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:36 PM

Wow. A lot of you are quick to judge me with minimal reading comprehension skills. Please read the entire thread without making judgments. My first post says it's a 2-5 LIMIT game. My last post states I don't like it because you can't push anyone off a hand with such a small fixed limit.
Of course I would have shoved with Q's. I would have shoved with queens pre-flop if those LAG fish were playing that way in a no limit game. Of course in a no limit game I would make them pay out the nose to see anything unless I had the nuts, and then I'd check-raise them.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:41 PM

[quote=Rek]
blurred, don't get put off by this kind of beat. You should love their play because long term you are +EV. Yes I know it hurts like hell when the donks catch but that type of play you want to keep happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're exactly right, and I do love their play. (when I'm getting cards [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 11-26-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. A lot of you are quick to judge me with minimal reading comprehension skills. Please read the entire thread without making judgments. My first post says it's a 2-5 LIMIT game. My last post states I don't like it because you can't push anyone off a hand with such a small fixed limit.
Of course I would have shoved with Q's. I would have shoved with queens pre-flop if those LAG fish were playing that way in a no limit game. Of course in a no limit game I would make them pay out the nose to see anything unless I had the nuts, and then I'd check-raise them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually wasn't sure if you were still referring to the same game in the QQ hand, which is why I ASKED. (silly me)
But hey, once you get 7 callers preflop, I would absolutely expect my PP to hold up on a paired, draw-fish-friendly board. (anyone wanna pokerstove it? qq v. 7 random?)

I'd still like to know how you got down to $27 before the qq hand at a 2/5 table (so actually 5.4ish BB, not 13.5) More "bad beats" from "fish"? (by all means, take offense at my tone but ignore my questions.)
Old 11-26-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I actually wasn't sure if you were still referring to the same game in the QQ hand, which is why I ASKED. (silly me)
But hey, once you get 7 callers preflop, I would absolutely expect my PP to hold up on a paired, draw-fish-friendly board. (anyone wanna pokerstove it? qq v. 7 random?)

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I guess my "feeler bet" after the flop knocking the table down to the two guys to my left who had played the past several junk hands was enough to let me know I was ahead. Gap concept anyone?

[ QUOTE ]
I'd still like to know how you got down to $27 before the qq hand at a 2/5 table (so actually 5.4ish BB, not 13.5) More "bad beats" from "fish"? (by all means, take offense at my tone but ignore my questions.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, playing with bad cards for hours on end with only $100 buy-in, and playing with a table of LAG players, and missing
2 nut draws...there you go. Happy?
(by all means act like a douche and don't read anything I've already posted)
Old 11-27-2007, 01:29 AM

I love fish. I love how fish taste as it dissolves in my mouth. It is good and I like it, too.

Seriously, wtf G? Do we really need to rehash the stone fundamentals every single thread? 1.) You are not there to be social, make friends, or please anybody with the way you play. If the comments of tards is gonna get you upset, or other people's perceptions of you, you are in the wrong game. By a mile. 2.) Poker is a game played for money. The object of the game is to make as much money as possible.
3.) Who says you have to play TAG? What distinguishes good players from bad players is the ability to adapt to particular circumstances, more commonly known as intelligence. If these "fish" are fish because they play an unthinking style ruled completely by habit and rooted in impulse, are you not also a fish for being equally rigid at the other end of the spectrum?

The "they're maniacs so I have to play tight; it's like a crapshoot" argument is a copout. These are the games you WANT to be in, believe me. All you need to do is modify your bankroll/buyin management requirements to play in these games. Buy in SHORTER and play AGGRESSIVELY in the right places. Mix it up with the chimps. Expect negative variance, but also expect the pots you win and the winning sessions you log to be much bigger. It is you who is the fish if you are breaking even/ only turning a very slight profit in these games.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love fish. I love how fish taste as it dissolves in my mouth. It is good and I like it, too.

Seriously, wtf G? Do we really need to rehash the stone fundamentals every single thread? 1.) You are not there to be social, make friends, or please anybody with the way you play. If the comments of tards is gonna get you upset, or other people's perceptions of you, you are in the wrong game. By a mile. 2.) Poker is a game played for money. The object of the game is to make as much money as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
All good thoughts.
[ QUOTE ]
If these "fish" are fish because they play an unthinking style ruled completely by habit and rooted in impulse, are you not also a fish for being equally rigid at the other end of the spectrum?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ever heard the expression, "if you wrestle with a pig, you're only gonna get dirty"?
If you start playing like a donk cuz you're playing with donks, you're still a donk.

[ QUOTE ]

The "they're maniacs so I have to play tight; it's like a crapshoot" argument is a copout. These are the games you WANT to be in, believe me. All you need to do is modify your bankroll/buyin management requirements to play in these games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, maybe I'm missing something, but when people are playing all the way to the river every hand, you're going to need the best hand to win. Playing with [censored] cards and calling to the river isn't going to make you a winner in the game I've explained in the OP......but hell, maybe you can change my "fishy" play with an explanation that trumps the proven odds of simple math. I'm all ears.