Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 05:37 AM

Default How random are the random number generators?

Please dont flame this post, just want to see what you guys think of this. These are 2 hands that occured at roughly the same time on pokerstars for a buddy of mine. I was not there to witness but it is one of my best friends who plays only recreationally so i have no reason to think he made up this crazy story. So here goes the story... He is playing 4 16 dollar 9 man sit and goes and in 2 of them he is dealt 6s 6c(suits may not be correct but are same on both tables) he is also sitting in the same seat on both tables. The flop comes 655 on both table and each time his oppentant is holding u guessed it pocket 5's. CRAZY. Anyone want to guess at the math on this. SAME SUITS SAME HAND SAME SEAT SAME TIME SAME FLOP, has to be in the millions maybe billions to 1 range. I dont have a clue any thoughts.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:42 AM

Default Re: How random are the random number generators?

SUPER RANDOM
Old 11-24-2007, 05:54 AM

Any clue how many hands have been played on pokerstars? If truly random, seemingly rare events, actually become likely over a large sample. In fact, the absence of these seemingly rare events becomes unlikely (a 1 in a million event, for example, should occur 100 times on average over 100 million hands.) If these 1 in a millions never occurred over a 1 billion hand sample we should be wary. That is, if I never heard about something like this happening I would be more worried about things being non-random.

but really NVG? maybe move this to the math forum or bbv - yes now that I think about it - this must be a thinly veiled beat that I was too dense to notice? ISSCKM after replying to this. lifetilt initiate
Old 11-24-2007, 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SUPER RANDOM imo

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-24-2007, 07:24 AM

I heard that they are so randomly randomized to be random that they are actually rigged
Old 11-24-2007, 07:36 AM

I think it is so random that there is no other word than random to describe how random it actually is.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please dont flame this post, just want to see what you guys think of this. These are 2 hands that occured at roughly the same time on pokerstars for a buddy of mine. I was not there to witness but it is one of my best friends who plays only recreationally so i have no reason to think he made up this crazy story. So here goes the story... He is playing 4 16 dollar 9 man sit and goes and in 2 of them he is dealt 6s 6c(suits may not be correct but are same on both tables) he is also sitting in the same seat on both tables. The flop comes 655 on both table and each time his oppentant is holding u guessed it pocket 5's. CRAZY. Anyone want to guess at the math on this. SAME SUITS SAME HAND SAME SEAT SAME TIME SAME FLOP, has to be in the millions maybe billions to 1 range. I dont have a clue any thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he just deposit? The boomswitch probably got turned on. Just don't withdraw.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:16 AM

It's more likely than a million internet monkeys typing randomly in BBV4L and eventually producing a deep and profound post.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:18 AM

Its like a brazillion times more random that the shuffle on a live card table.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:28 AM

randomization power !
Closed Thread