Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Average SMP IQ.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I believe poker players have higher Iqs on average to normal peeps.
I believe a 2p2er even more so and a 2p2er that post in SMP WOW!

So whats are Iqs just out of interest.

me 126 (7years ago).

[/ QUOTE ]

IQ is a wholy discredited concept. Ask anyone.

If it weren't there'd be a 'hol lot a 'splainin to be done regarding race and differential performance on so many metrics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Level I think.

I liked it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really a level, more a troll.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:08 PM

Smart people tend to gravitate towards at least one of
mathematics, philosophy or physics so SMPers tend to be
either smart or curious about learning. My last "IQ test"
wasn't quite sufficient for me to join "Mega" and my first
test (that I am aware of) caused me to skip a grade. Still,
being smart doesn't really mean much in the "grand scheme".
Old 11-22-2007, 07:42 PM

I've scored 142.

But its a waste because I look good (for those that don't know good looks is just as good an indicator of solid career, happy relationships and overall life quality), and yes I'm j/k. Not about the good looks though, on those I'm actually serious. I have never gotten turned down at a job interview, even if underqualified. I'm truly blessed!

Old 11-22-2007, 07:51 PM

I just did a half dozen online tests out of curiosity and they confirmed my distrust of them (though I guess a cursory internet search is unlikely to be a reliable filter as to "good" tests). I found it annoying that I consistently score higher on those sites who then want to sell me something. Similarly, it bugs me when I do badly on a "louisiana purchase is to _________ as Alaska is to russia" question (at least, I assume I did badly). I'd also be pretty confident my IQ went up markedly post maths degree which doesnt seem to mesh well with it as a measure of intelligence rather than education.

I scored between 127 at mensa and 154 from some site which suggested I join up for their secret society for geniuses.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just did a half dozen online tests out of curiosity and they confirmed my distrust of them (though I guess a cursory internet search is unlikely to be a reliable filter as to "good" tests). I found it annoying that I consistently score higher on those sites who then want to sell me something. Similarly, it bugs me when I do badly on a "louisiana purchase is to _________ as Alaska is to russia" question (at least, I assume I did badly). I'd also be pretty confident my IQ went up markedly post maths degree which doesnt seem to mesh well with it as a measure of intelligence rather than education.

I scored between 127 at mensa and 154 from some site which suggested I join up for their secret society for geniuses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never seen a question in an IQ test that would lead me to think this. Perhaps you would give an example?
Old 11-22-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have never seen a question in an IQ test that would lead me to think this. Perhaps you would give an example?

[/ QUOTE ]
Some of the "If 4 workers dig 12 holes in 4 days how long will it take 9 workers to dig 81 holes?" questions. A bit of experience at doing them teaches you the common traps and the key to solving them quickly and accurately.

Another example where mathematical training helps you think about it correctly was "A square with sides of 10cm can completely fit within a regular hexagon with sides of 10cm - true or false?" Surely one can be brilliant without knowing the definition of "regular hexagon"?

Similarly the "Count the four sided figures in this picture" types - combinatorics develops the habit of methodically counting so that you dont miss any and dont double count.

One test I did had a "Which sequence of coin tosses is more likely - HHTHT or TTTT?" question. These are trivial once you know a bit of probability, irrespective of what you would have thought prior to being taught.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:08 PM

Are there any "legitimate" IQ tests where knowledge or
education in mathematics is NOT going to be helpful?
Old 11-22-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any "legitimate" IQ tests where knowledge or
education in mathematics is NOT going to be helpful?

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think so - that was my point. IQ is often portrayed as a test of inherent intelligence which seems to me to be contradicted by the fact you can improve it with training.

Similarly with the "louisiana purchase is to _______ as alaska is to russia" question. This is predominantly testing knowledge of historical trivia, not some kind of inherent intelligence.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:51 PM

I suspect that Richard Feynman would drag our average down horribly, were he able to post here.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:13 PM

Being dead and all?